Hyper Audio Experiment

Friday, April 29, 2011 - 04:15 PM

Snapshot of hyper audio player Snapshot of hyper audio player

A segment from our latest episode, Desperately Seeking Symmetry, has been turned into an experimental hyper audio player--linking images, comments, and an animated transcript to the audio. It was built using HTML5, so you may need to upgrade your browser to the latest version in order to get the full effect. It's still a work in progress, and the developers would love your feedback. Check out this behind-the-scenes blog post, or give the player a spin here.

Micaela

Good day! I know this is kinda off topic however I'd figured I'd ask.
Would you be interested in exchanging links or maybe
guest authoring a blog post or vice-versa? My site discusses a lot of the same topics as yours and
I feel we could greatly benefit from each other.
If you happen to be interested feel free to shoot me an email.
I look forward to hearing from you! Awesome blog by
the way!

Mar. 07 2013 02:14 AM
Zach from Chiang Mai, Thailand

It's an intriguing idea. I feel, however, that perhaps it takes away from the listening experience. There's an almost too visual aspect to it. It's useful to have transcripts of what Jad and Robert are saying, I do enjoy that. But half of the fun in listening (just like a story)... is imagining.

May. 17 2011 12:35 AM
Jim Johnson from WFPL, Louisville, Ky.

The following comment is in response to the discussion concerning raising college tuition on WFPl's "Hear and Now".

Mr. Gritton discussed the rising cost of U. of L.'s and Jefferson Community and Technical College's tuition in terms of supply and demand, the rising cost of providing a quality educational product, and the return on the investment in education. Mr. Gritton is right in terms of those who can afford the tuition or who can acquire the necessary loan. For those who fit in that category college is still a worthy investment. But if I am a student who comes from such a poor background that I cannot qualify for a loan then college is not accessible. Students who fit in the latter category are usually folks who suffer from generational poverty. For them college may be the only way out. Therefore they are denied access to the one avenue that could change their life.
I recently visited U. of L.'s campus. The physical structure is a modern, magnificent facility. Papa John's stadium and the Yum Center are both magnificent arenas; a credit to the University Administration, no doubt. But do we forget about those who are stuck in generational poverty. If the answer to that question is yes, then I believe the argument put forth by Fred Engels and Carl Marx has relevance to the situation we find ourselves in today.
By rising tuition we have made it impossible for the working poor to acquire a college education and more difficult for those who come from a lower middle class background.
I believe even Machiavelli would have considered a more modest Papa John's stadium and a smaller Yum Center if it meant making college available to those who cannot afford the high tuition.

May. 10 2011 10:59 PM
gail walker from Hector, NY

"watching" the radio rocks!

May. 09 2011 08:31 PM
Mark Mackay from Australia

Not bad - some of the pictures flicked on and off the screen (a Mac) without me really being able to see them properly. Will it become the "podcast" so I can watch and listen? Having listened to radiolab - I like the notion of listening and I hope that this doesn't introduce a reliance on visual imagery which Robert and Jad are really great at achieving. 7 out of 10, might get more when the pictures show better.

May. 09 2011 07:12 PM

Kelly, I find your feedback really useful and we / I am currently trying to figure out how to take this further. Any additional info or feedback .. - you know what, I'm going to email you! Thanks so much. Henrik, Mozilla

May. 09 2011 09:15 AM
IEH from Los Angeles, CA

Read about this the other day: http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2011/04/26/1016955108.abstract

I though it would interest you guys.

io9 did a write-up on it today: http://io9.com/#!5797994/how-two-peoples-heartbeats-become-synchronized-even-when-they-are-far-from-each-other

May. 03 2011 03:30 PM
Daimeon

The music is by Zoe Keating. It's New. She's been a guest on RadioLab several times. Download her album on iTunes. It's worth it! "The Optimist"

May. 01 2011 10:32 AM
kuir Ehous from Left Coast US

Does anyone know the name of the music at 19:30? I heard it in my youth (almost 30 years ago) The name has the word strangers or beach or something like that in the title. Is that an oboe?

May. 01 2011 02:52 AM
Kelly Spivey from NYC

This is a great version, or new take, on the radio transcript. My partner is deaf, and I've really wanted her to experience Radiolab. Now she really can! I'd love her to experience the 'cities' program. Any chance that show will be turned into a player version?

Also, on the itouch with its latest OS, I have to scroll a little bit to see it full frame.

Apr. 30 2011 10:41 AM
A.S. from Montreal, Canada

The player works fine in Firefox 4 in Ubuntu 11.04. However, it seems to scale the page to about 105% of the browser window size, requiring scrolling to the right to get to the playback control buttons.

Apr. 30 2011 08:00 AM