Free Download: Lali Puna

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 02:00 PM

Lali Puna Lali Puna (Courtesy of the artist)

"Faking The Books," by Lali Puna

When I first heard this song, I went into one of those strange deliriums that happen to me once a decade, and I played the song fifteen times in a row, no joke. I’ve since heard from a few other people who’ve had the same reaction. There’s something narcotic about the way the song builds, and about what’s being described – people trying to fake their way to being good. But I won’t bore you with my thoughts. Just listen to it. Let me know if this song does to you what it does (still does, now 7 years later) to me.

If you like this track, check out more from Lali Puna on iTunes:

Corrina

I love that you posted this song! I discovered it a few years ago while on a trip to NYC and spent the week exploring with it on repeat, it was my first trip to the city, I was alone, and it transformed the streets and city lights in to magic. Everything seemed infused with a new life, the city and music combined to make the experience something it may not have been without a song that enchanted me as completely as this did then.

I love the show dearly and your taste in everything you ever post or talk about! I've been traveling the world this year and Radiolab has been my only constant companion through exploration and discovery. Thanks for the magic!

Sep. 19 2011 08:45 AM
dakuro from US

puna

Aug. 04 2011 03:58 PM
Nanny Skeksis from Garthim, UT

I'm with Scott from Cleveland - the music is a nice diversion, but I listen to every podcast hoping for the next "Numbers" or "Where Am I?". While I'd love to see a "MusicLab" spinoff, I wouldn't want Jad to spend any less time keeping RadioLab in top form.

Jul. 22 2011 01:51 PM
Andrew Hinds from Puyallup, WA

There was a time, when I was younger, when my father used to listen to all sorts of music ranging from Beautiful Day, to Dead Can Dance. Its something i often think is really interesting listening to, I mean this. Its different and yet so familier to some stuff i used to listen to when I was younger. I guess either time is repeating once again, or I am totally crazy. Either way, its pretty refreshing listening to this track.

Jul. 22 2011 01:31 AM
Jad

Hey all, thanks for the comments. It's fun to put up an oldie but goodie and then see all the different reactions. We're just experimenting with music for the moment, so for those that are worried we're straying from our zone, don't be. The core of what we do will always be the radio show and the podcast. We'll continue to put everything we have into those.

Jul. 22 2011 12:24 AM
Scott from Cleveland

Cool song, doesn't blow me away currently, but in the right mood it might've. However, I've gotta say I'm of two minds on the increasing spotlight that's been put on music in Radiolab lately. On the one hand, I always like to be exposed to new music, and generally like the quirky stuff you bring. But on the other hand, it seems to cloud what Radiolab is about (to me it's exploring scientific ideas in a humanistic way and exploring humanity in a scientific way). I'm glad that the arts are included as part of humanity, and I enjoy how music enhances the listening experience of each episode, but putting the recent concert side by side with your other stories doesn't seem to fit.

Maybe it'd be better to have a list of all the songs used in an episode, the way All Things Considered does (even w/o the listen option), which could be really cool since people often ask about the music, then do music features somehow connected with that in sort of a Radiolab offshoot? Maybe just differentiate by a different tag on the main page? To me it seems some sort of differentiation could enhance your music pursuits while preserving what was/is great about Radiolab (the sciencey bits with the human/arts bits, not just the human/arts bits). Sorry for the length.

Jul. 21 2011 05:44 PM
Oneil from NY, NY

I kinda liked them back then. Hearing it again they just sound (and look) like the three dull people who huddle together at social events and think they "feel" more than others do. Not really. It's breathy vocals over semi-glitched droning beats. yawn.

Jul. 21 2011 02:57 PM
Chris from Boston, MA

I hadn't listen to them in a while. Thanks for reminding me. Thier album Tridecoder from 1999 is the one that got me hooked on them.

Jul. 21 2011 12:47 PM
Jessica from Celo, NC

So few words, so much space.
I listened many times to unlock the secret message, but the message is only what this unlocks in me: I have have been wrong before but I survived; I will be true again eventually.

Jul. 21 2011 09:03 AM
CrackerBox from Zihuatanejo

Meh... (°_°) I've heard better... and I've heard worse.

Are the effects it's having on you anything like Sean Paul 's "Temperature" causing an epileptic seizure?

So is RadioLab shifting it's focus from science to spotlighting obscure musical artists? Hmmm... no offense, but I liked the earlier shows much better.

Jul. 21 2011 08:28 AM
Diana McNease from London, UK

I didn't have the same reaction Jad, but did listen to the song several times to see if I was missing something. While it didn't put me in a trance, I did enjoy it and am definitely going to check out her music!

Jul. 21 2011 04:47 AM
David from Kansas

I had the exact same reaction when I first heard this song. It is magic.

Jul. 21 2011 12:50 AM
bettina from chgo

i wonder where music preferences come from and if a large part of it is a cohort memory thing... like the resurgence or rise in the popularity of the glitch, electro, synth, and 8bit sound in the late 90s and 00s.

Jul. 20 2011 11:46 PM
jason from vancouver

Wonderful, thank you. Since you did that show featuring "Stars of the Lid" I have been very happy to hear your recommendations. My musical library has a new resident.

Jul. 20 2011 10:09 PM
Zoe from Lake Macquarie, Australia

It's an OK song. I didn't have the same experience you had, Jad. But I do know what you're talking about, I've had the exact same thing with other songs. I think it's a deeply personal thing, this response to a song and it's a different "sound" for everybody.

Jul. 20 2011 08:38 PM
Charlie

Does not stand out. Have heard much that is similar. Nothing innovative or exceptional.

Jul. 20 2011 07:14 PM
Matt

I just don't get it. To my ears it just sounds like something that's broken and not working like it should... over and over and over again.

I appreciate their efforts, but it just doesn't work for me.

Jul. 20 2011 06:55 PM
Paul from Birmingham, U.K.

A stylish song, Lali Puna always have a way to elicit emotions. I wonder how they do it so often? Perhaps you should examine that question in one of your shows...

Jul. 20 2011 06:52 PM
Paul from Birmingham, U.K.

Jul. 20 2011 06:48 PM
Viet from Cincinnati, OH

Ah Lali Puna! If you get the chance, check out the Notwist (specifically the song "One with the Freaks"). When I heard Lali Puna, I noticed there was a strikingly similar resemblance with the Notwist. Turns out that one of the band members, Markus Acher, is in both Lali Puna and the Notwist!

Jul. 20 2011 06:40 PM
Tom from Minnesota

Love it. Thanks for sharing. I love Radiolab for exposing me to elements of our world that I otherwise wouldn't experience.

Jul. 20 2011 06:24 PM
matty p from Greenwich Meany Time

Yep, awesome Jad. It is certainly not monochromatic...its got so much colour, variation and... warmth. Love its build. Somewhat reminiscent of Neulander's 'If You Could' - not sonically, but hypnotically.

Jul. 20 2011 06:21 PM
Megan from Shelton, WA

I'm listening while I write a cover letter, loving the accuracy of this song :)

Jul. 20 2011 06:13 PM
darra from los angeles

thank you jad !!!! it's as though this song was spell written just for me. to distract me and break my heart and fill me with joy and crawl into my spine and under my skin and fill my lungs with air and take my breath away........all at the same time. how was it i did not know of lali puna. perhaps i was not meant to know until right this minute.

Jul. 20 2011 06:08 PM
Seth from Denver

I love Lali Puna! Basically everything those guys have worked on or played in has been awesome (the Notwist, Console, Tied & Tickled Trio, etc)

So talented.

Jul. 20 2011 03:34 PM
Keith from Warwickshire, UK

Great band.
I particularly like their cover of "together in electric dreams"

Jul. 20 2011 03:02 PM