Free Download: Max Richter

Wednesday, August 03, 2011 - 05:30 PM

Max Richter Max Richter (Yulia Mahr)

"Infra 1," by Max Richter

I’m really proud to feature Max Richter for this week’s download. Max is my favorite film composer. He writes these beautiful small pieces that take you into the emotional depths of a moment or a character.

I use him as a guide for scoring this show. Constantly. Like: when I’m stuck scoring a piece and I just can't get the mood or feeling right (which is often) what I’ll do, to hit the reset button, is listen to Max Richter’s 24 Postcards In Full Colour and ask myself, what would Max do here? Sparse piano cords? Subterranean strings?

His music seems to live in the place our stories are always striving to get to – awe, mystery, transformation, illumination. Yeah, I’m pretty much a Max Richter-hack.

"Infra 1" is the first track from an album he released last year called Infra. It’s on the quieter, more fragile end of his spectrum, which is the stuff of his I tend to like most. I hope you enjoy this piece.

If you like this track, check out more from Max Richter on iTunes:

yeah man! i bought infra almost a year ago from eMusic. It was on heavy rotation for months. As a composer myself, he always reminds me what real music is supposed to do; make you feel something.

Aug. 24 2011 11:24 AM
david from minneapolis

takes me back to my ham radio days. the keying is CQ CQ CQ de WA2......
the glory of morse code lives on! thank you

Aug. 07 2011 03:14 PM
Wanda from Massachusetts

Gorgeous -- so precisely what my heart wants, I feel sucker-punched.

Aug. 03 2011 10:08 PM

This is great, reminds me a bit of Sigur Ros.
-gib

Aug. 03 2011 06:44 PM
r.m. from pdx

Max Richter has long been a staple in sound design for my friends and I. It has recently become a joke that using Richter is "cheating" when it comes to soundscaping a show. His work is really quite phenomenal, especially "The Blue Notebooks."

Aug. 03 2011 06:28 PM
Marc from Pacific NW

Agree with Rachel...love both Radiolab AND Max's music. More of both, please!

Aug. 03 2011 06:21 PM
Rachel Blumberg

Two of my favorite things on earth together as one - Max Richter AND Radiolab.

Aug. 03 2011 06:13 PM