Free Download: The Books

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 02:00 PM

The Books The Books (Ben Poster)

"I Didn't Know That," by The Books

Like a lot of people, when I first heard the Books' "Thought for Food," back in 2003, I was very confused. Like: What. The. Hell. Is. This?! Like some kind of Appalachian William Burroughs being chased through a forest by razor blades. The album infected my consciousness and for a long while I couldn't listen to much else. I still marvel at the sheer number of cuts per minutes. This track is from their latest album, "The Way Out." I hope it'll make you smile.

If you like this track, check out more from The Books on iTunes:

Radiolab Short: The Books--great idea Austin!

Aug. 19 2011 11:24 PM

The Books & Radiolab are the two things that center me and inspire me most. In my artwork and in my life. This is like seeing your two best friends get married.

Aug. 17 2011 03:32 PM
Lynda Joy from Chicago, IL

Ah, my favorite musicians are featured on the website of my favorite radio show! What could be better?

The Books combine classical orchestral sounds with old fashioned, grassroots folk and sampled media from their library of sound. It's innovative, creative, skillfully mixed, and it makes "everyday" sounds come alive through beautifully and intricately layered compositions.

Friends and strangers have caught me leaping around ecstatically during The Books' live shows, and to be honest, I think those were some of the greatest moments in my life. I never miss a show when they come in town. :)

Aug. 17 2011 01:32 PM
Ralf from Hamburg, Germany

This somehow reminds me of Negativeland "Escape from Noise", http://www.amazon.com/Escape-From-Noise/dp/B0040JICWA

Aug. 16 2011 12:13 PM
Austin from Brooklyn, NY

The Books are fantastic fantastic fantastic.

Just like Cliff from Humboldt County I've been tearing through Radiolab's entire body of work these last few weeks and MAN do I love The Books.

I have to second (or third?) Michael and Cliff's comments regarding the song "Smells Like Content." I think there's enough thought-provoking material in that song alone for a dedicated Radiolab short, don't you?

Who's with me?

Aug. 12 2011 05:39 PM
Ryan from Grand Island, NY

I'm from berkshire county. I heard these guys on a Wire Tapper cd once that came in the magazine. Pretty cool. Similar to Jad's style, now that I think about it...

Aug. 12 2011 03:15 PM
Michael from Michigan

Cool! It was only a matter of time before my two favorite things—Radiolab and The Books—came together.

The Way Out is a really cool album, but at times it's a little too frenetic for my tastes. My favorite album is still Lost and Safe, for those looking to delve further into The Books. Indeed, as someone else mentioned, Smells Like Content is fantastic.

Aug. 12 2011 04:21 AM
Cliff from Humboldt County

So funny...I've been listening to Radiolab voraciously for a couple months now. The first time I visit your site (today) I find this post about the Books. Sweet! My favorite song by them is Smells Like Content.

Aug. 12 2011 01:56 AM
Sabrina from Los Angeles, CA

I love the Books so much! I have been listening to them ever since I happened upon their first album by chance in a store . . . probably in middle school? I had no idea what to expect and was completely blown away.

Aug. 11 2011 05:49 PM