Free Download: Juana Molina

Friday, October 07, 2011 - 11:30 AM

Juana Molina Juana Molina (Kristine Larsen)

"La Verdad," by Juana Molina

Juana Molina lands on my very short list of Awesome. Nobody sings like her -- that raspy ever-so-slightly-but-delightfully-flat tone. And very few people make music that's simultaneously so inviting but so completely formless. Well, I shouldn't use the word completely. There's form there. It just not the usual snoozy song-structurey form. Her songs ebb and flow and and meander from one section to the next like water, organic but full of unexpected turns. Like sometimes she'll ditch the words and start to vocalize like a cat. I don't know why, but it works. Hope you dig this one. It's one of only about forty songs that frequent my list of Awesome.

And for more of Juana's music, check out the Sperm show, where we used some bits and pieces of one of her songs. And this podcast we produced with her, after a ton of you demanded to hear more.

If you like this track, check out more from Juana Molina on iTunes:

rachel

WOW. loving the remix. seriously. this is some seriously gorgeous business. can you put a link to this version of 'un día'?? what a tribute to JM, my very favorite!

Oct. 19 2011 12:43 AM
Devan

I Love Juana Molina! You're too late :p

Oct. 16 2011 08:35 PM
Grace

Sounds like many other "artists" out there, nothing ground breaking

Oct. 12 2011 03:02 PM
Jill

Thanks to you, from a year or two ago, Juana Molina is one of my absolute favorites.

Oct. 11 2011 01:49 PM
Mark from RVA

Wow, this is definitely full of awesome. I have found my working music for the night, thanks Jad!

Oct. 10 2011 08:03 PM
Leo from Florida

Jad what did you say to make her look so unhappy in the picture?

Oct. 09 2011 09:20 PM
Luis from Ottawa, Canada

Grande Juana!

I remember Juana from the time she was a popular impersonator on TV back in the early 90' in Buenos Aires. She was so good doing that as she is now as a musician.

Oct. 08 2011 05:27 PM
Keith from Brooklyn

I like this song; my cat does not. He's looking at the corners of the room wondering why he can't see the birds that have somehow infiltrated the apartment.

Oct. 07 2011 04:48 PM