A quick message from Jad

Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 09:35 AM

Headphones Headphones (aloshbennett/flickr/CC-BY-2.0)

Happy holidays, everybody! Take a listen to Jad's message, and if you enjoyed the podcast this year, let us know right now with a contribution. You can donate online, or text "RL" to 25383, and a $10 donation will appear on your phone bill (messaging and data rates apply). Thanks!

captnbli from Australia

Jake, I urge you to look at it the other way around: we are heading for a world where artists produce great content, and a proportion of consumers choose to contribute. Everyone wins.

That is radio lab, although I agree I would like to be able to contribute to radio lab directly. I suppose it depends if contributions cover costs. Is that information available?

You yourself say independent media is more innovative, why is that?

Jan. 04 2012 03:28 AM
Susan from CA

I gave money but, like Angela, I wish my money could go only to Radiolab, not to WNYC.

Dec. 31 2011 07:50 PM
Christopher from Portlandia

OMGosh, some comments.

So, that, OR...

I like Radio Lab, think they do a good service, and I consume them often, so I gave them 30 bucks :)

Dec. 29 2011 07:11 PM

I have absolutely no problem with the idea of non-profit media. I mean, why not, right? In fact, I think that much of the best content that public media produces would not be created by for-profit media companies. No, my problem is with the inherent arrogance of the whole public media mythos i.e. the idea that asking me directly for money makes public media somehow more pure or free to pursue truth. Depending on direct donations forces public media to cater more directly to their core audience at the expense of more casual consumers. Public media ends up much more beholden to extremists than a they would be if they used a more conventional finance model. When you need your audience to mail you checks you don't have the luxury of broadcasting material that might piss off the ones that tend to write the checks. This tends to result in the exact same sort of pandering that evangelical radio and tv stations engage in.

I will never give money to public media. I freaking love Radiolab, but I have to say, in short, go screw yourselves.

Dec. 29 2011 02:27 PM
W. Eric Chew from North Carolina

I have a feeling I am going to love it here.

Dec. 28 2011 06:38 PM
Angela from San Francisco

I contributed a couple months ago, but got a letter from WNYC telling me "thanks for becoming a member." How do I know my money is going to the Radiolab fund? Not that WNYC isn't great, but you know...

Dec. 26 2011 11:21 PM
Chris B from NJ

Sooo... Exactly how much more Radiolab do I get for 10 bucks?

Dec. 26 2011 08:16 PM