The Great Brain Mapping Debate

Web Chat Archive

Monday, April 02, 2012 - 08:59 PM

A map of neurons of the mouse retina, reconstructed automatically by artificial intelligence from electron microscopic images. A map of neurons of the mouse retina, reconstructed automatically by artificial intelligence from electron microscopic images. (A. Zlateski based on images of K. Briggman, M. Helmstaedter, and W. Denk.)

Robert and Carl Zimmer teamed up tonight to moderate a brain mapping brouhaha live at Columbia University. The subject: does the brain's wiring make us who we are? The event has ended, but thanks to everyone who tuned in for the live webcast (and the lively web chat archived below).

Tonight's debate was the second annual event presented by Neuwrite. Leading neuroscientists Sebastian Seung (Professor of Computational Neuroscience, MIT, and
author of Connectome: How the Brain’s Wiring
 Makes Us Who We Are) and Anthony Movshon (Professor and Director,
Center for Neural Science, NYU) went head to head on one of their field's hottest topics. Thanks to everyone who tuned in and joined us for the web chat (which is closed now, but archived below).

Guests:

Anthony Movshon, Sebastian Seung and Carl Zimmer

Hosted by:

Robert Krulwich

Armen Enikolopov from NYC

The official version has been posted at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4KrhDZQ088

Apr. 07 2012 11:15 AM
victor

We should thank you, Oleg, for recording the video. (I had to borrow a cell phone to get the upgrade code because I don't have one either!)

Apr. 05 2012 11:37 AM
Oleg

thanks victor for uploading to youtube, I couldn't upload it, because Google wants a mobile phone number for uploading >15min (hey I know its uncommon but I don't have a mobile phone!)

@radiolab or @admin, could you delete my previous dropbox-links-post, please? thanks =)

Apr. 05 2012 07:17 AM
victor

Here is a youtube link to the video
enjoy.

Apr. 05 2012 01:42 AM
Oleg

I'm sorry, therefore I hope somebody can upload the video somewhere. Meanwhile you can get the audio stream from here:

Apr. 04 2012 02:31 PM
missconnectome

oh no.. there's too much traffic on that link, so they "temporarily" disabled it. i hope radiolab posts the video asap.

Apr. 04 2012 02:16 PM
missconnectome

thanks for posting the link!

Apr. 04 2012 01:25 PM
Oleg

As I told ya, here are the links. Maybe I will delete it somewhere in the future, so copy to other platforms, please.

Video:

Audio only:

Apr. 04 2012 05:08 AM
kmcclel

I seriously regret missing this! It's fascinating!

Apr. 03 2012 11:05 AM
Zaide from Kalamazoo

Will this event be podcast? It looks fascinating.

Apr. 03 2012 09:01 AM
drdb

please release the podcast...i would be grateful

Apr. 03 2012 04:41 AM
Maura

I retract that comment but it does have some interesting videos for those who are waiting on the video or podcast.

Apr. 03 2012 12:37 AM
Maura

I was looking at Neuwrite which is something I would be interested in and the video is up there. http://www.neuwrite.org/

Apr. 03 2012 12:31 AM
drmom from brooklyn

thank you for having this available...when can we get the podcast?

Apr. 02 2012 11:40 PM