Radiolab Remix Winners

Monday, July 02, 2012 - 09:00 PM

Remix (mikeywally/flickr)

Thanks to everybody who entered our first-ever remix competition! Check out all the winners and runners up:

Grand Prize Winner

Summarymix,
david minnick

Radiolab Winners

PacingAboutTheLab, Jeff Barr

RadioAleatory, aleatorictelevision

Vertigo (a reinterpretation), sketch lightly & daimyo

[Techno] Radiolab (Sonic Emblem Remix), SONIC EMBLEM

Popular Vote Winner

What Makes RadioLab So Special? (A Remix of RadioLab), Robb Jacobson

Honorable Mentions

Jad forgets the face of his father and takes up karaoke (Audio YouTube Poop), chemistryguy

Multiverse Cookbook, Deepfried

67 Days of Heartbreak, Kyle Corcoran

ONE MINUTE MULTIVERSE (feat. stochasticity and sufjan stevens), Jonathan Camery-Hoggatt

Fast Molasses, Fast Molasses

Iris from Amsterdam (the one in Europe)

The Vertigo remix is beautiful. Wish it's longer. Thank you so much for making this happen. Sketch Lightly has put it on CloudSound for those who wants to download: https://soundcloud.com/#sketchlightly/vertigo

May. 28 2013 11:22 AM
Listener from Beantown

This was an awesome idea! Please, please, please, please Radiolab do it again! The contest period was so short and I just missed out! I know you have a lot more creative listeners out there who would love to contribute and unleash some of their creativity.

Aug. 25 2012 11:40 AM
djjeeday from ky

I think that radiolab is the perfect broad/pod-cast. My son, my mother, and I can all enjoy it, and that is amazing.
I love the remix idea, and I wish that I was not playing catch-up in podcasts or I might have actually submitted one.
Some folks did NOT like the remix idea, I can respect that, I like Bjork just fine, but 30 remixes of "Army of Me" is for fanatics!

Aug. 06 2012 02:08 AM
jim hicks from Geneva

Just listened to podcast of your remix show. At the end, you close with a conversation about how strange and wonderful it is to have so many folks dedicate so much time and creativity to your work. And then you comment that you don't know what to call it, except cool. Well, I do. Translation. And, btw, you guys really need to do show on that...

Jul. 27 2012 03:05 PM
John Garr from Salt Lake City

I was listening to the wonderful show about the NGS photographer and the leopard seal, which was supposed to have taken place in the "Arctic." Penguins figure heavily in this story, but penguins do not live in the Arctic. They live in Antarctica (and Tierra del Fuego, I believe). What's up with this?

Great thanks to you all,

John

Jul. 19 2012 12:12 AM
Scotty from Hartland, Michigan

I've been listening to Radiolab for years. Naturally, I had to hear every last one of the posted remixes. Something told me to hold off on listening to #6: "What Makes Radiolab So Special?" I'm glad I listened to that one at the very end. Whenever I recommend Radiolab to friends, I have difficulty choosing my words. But because of that remix, I now know how to describe the show. It totally changed my perspective. Thanks, Robb Jacobson.

Jul. 15 2012 02:11 AM
sketch lightly

awesome that you're a lab partner, Wendi! but anybody can download our remix, here: soundcloud.com/sketchlightly

Jul. 13 2012 07:55 AM
WendiC

Any way the lab partners can download the Vertigo remix! Loved it.

Jul. 12 2012 07:11 PM
sketch lightly

thanks, Arika!

Jul. 07 2012 11:42 AM
Arika

Out of all these, I really liked that vertigo honorable mention at the end. I love reinterpretations.

Jul. 06 2012 04:05 PM
Leslie from Portland, OR

Summarymix gets more brilliant every time you listen to it, because you hear something new and different that you didn't hear the last go 'round. I want to buy a copy for my iPod. Is there a way to do that?

Jul. 06 2012 01:22 PM
ATM from Brooklyn

I still think 67 Days of Heartbreak is fantastic. It's actually enjoyable to listen to!

Jul. 06 2012 11:00 AM
david minnick from Detroit

Hi Sherry,
In all honesty, I was just amplifying the story. Irritating? Yes. But that (I feel) is how Mr. Eagleman's version of the afterlife would be. Imagine "18 months waiting in line"...and you'll get a sense of what I was after. I could have made something that sounded like a song or a dance-club-thing, but I wanted to be true to the story. I'm sorry you got angry. What I make is not always about making people feel comfortable...it's what I find interesting.

Jul. 06 2012 12:42 AM
Sherry

Congrats to the winners. I could never do stuff like this. My creative genes go elsewhere. But I do have to say I did find some of the pieces submitted hard to listen to. My problem is music or anything with a repeating riff or beat or soundbite. A few times is fine but when it just keeps going and going I get angry. No kidding. I have to turn it off. I just can't' tolerate that type of stuff. Maybe it's a disorder, I don't know but I cannot listen to it without wanting to hurt things.

Jul. 05 2012 07:23 PM
cursorx

In addition to Steve Reich's Different Trains and Come out, also check out Scott Johnson's John Somebody. Great stuff.

Jul. 05 2012 04:45 PM
Johnny

Holy crow! The creativity on display is nothing short of glorious and it is invigoratingly inspiring especially "4 minutes wondering what your life would be like if you shuffled up the events" in minnick's piece... Wow.

More proof as to why Radiolab is the best podcast on the whole internet. Thank you to all.

Jul. 05 2012 10:56 AM
Justin Vickers from Chicago

Sorry I missed this. Is there anyway to get the source files to play with just for fun? Thanks!

Jul. 04 2012 10:45 PM
Sarah from Denver

I'm with Aaron 100%. I can appreciate the creativity of these remixes but there ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE to listen to! Not music, not story, and definitely not fun to listen to. The grand prize piece was like nails on a chalkboard.

Jul. 04 2012 01:50 PM
OKDavid from Kypol

My heart says #7

Jul. 04 2012 12:24 PM
david minnick from Detroit

Thanks Matthew! Yes, I wore out my cassette tape of Different Trains years and years ago...great piece!
Aaron, I know where you're coming from...I feel the same way about a lot of music that many many people think is great music. It's all what you're accustomed to hearing and the things that you find interesting...that's different for everyone.

Jul. 03 2012 10:22 PM

man, some of you cats are harsh! i'm lovin' it. ^-^

Jul. 03 2012 09:46 PM
Matthew

The winner did a great job! David, if you haven't already, check out Steve Reich's "Different Trains"

Jul. 03 2012 06:55 PM
Aaron from Denver

The amount of time and creativity to make these is definitely astounding. That being said they are just unbearable to listen to. It's not music. It's not interesting content. I don't know what it's supposed to be. A "best of" episode would have been leaps and bounds more productive from a listener stand point. This is the first, and hopefully last, Radio Lab that I cut short.

Jul. 03 2012 02:29 PM

This was wonderful!!! Thank you for the opportunity to have such an awesome experience . . . also, haters gonna hate!

Jul. 03 2012 12:32 PM

Congrats to all the contest winners. Bang-up job.

I can't say I'm not disappointed that the words "youtube poop" didn't make it onto the public airwaves. But I thank you, Robert and Jad, for giving us the opportunity to rip you to shreds.

Let's make this a regular thing, shall we?

Jul. 03 2012 07:21 AM
Charity Ohlund from Kansas City

Wow, I'be been worried for a couple of months. But now it is confirmed. You guys really are running out of show ideas, huh?

Jul. 02 2012 11:33 PM