Video: Hallelujah Mantis Shrimp

Monday, July 30, 2012 - 01:40 PM

How do you put a rainbow on the radio? You call on a choral SWAT team to turn the spectrum into a wall of sound (and pay tribute to a sea creature that sees way beyond anything humans can perceive).

Luckily, our friends at Q2 Music not only helped hook us up with a choir for our Colors show, they also shot a really fun behind-the-scenes video of Jad in action:

This video originally debuted on Lab Partners--Radiolab's digital membership program. To get more behind-the-scenes Radiolab videos, plus other exclusive downloads...like MP3s, hi-res digital art inspired by our episodes, and a mantis shrimp ringtone...become a Lab Partner and help support the show

Jaclyn from Tahoe City, CA

i just listened to this program on NPR in the car about an hour and a half ago. I'm still thinking about it and am now reading up on the Mantis Shrimp. Beautiful program! Thank you.

Sep. 04 2013 04:48 PM
Stephen from Alexandria, VA

There REALLY REALLY should be a tag on this for "Mantis Shrimp". Please?! :)

Apr. 10 2013 10:51 AM
Susan

Just enjoyed "colours" again and the thought occurred to me that when any group of young kids get together they all ask each other "what's your favourite colour?" It is a major preoccupation. Its not just making conversation, I remember being 6 and it was a passionate thing that put people into sort of groups or types. I wonder why. Great work as usual guys, thanks.

Sep. 23 2012 06:03 PM
Steve Baldwin from Milwaukee

This was great! I've been searching for your website ever since I caught this piece on the radio. I can only imagine the first reaction of the choral group, but the music turned out beautiful!

Sep. 05 2012 09:36 PM

Found it annoying, but thanks for the fact.

Aug. 20 2012 04:50 PM
Ellen from Minnesota

I walked around for days loudly singing "THE MANTIS SHRIMP" and wowing my friends with facts about color. My favorite episode since "Words." Bravo!

Aug. 15 2012 12:02 AM
Demis from Santa Barabar, California, USA

That was so cool - and one of my favorite Radiolab moments of all time! Nice work Jad, it came out so brilliantly!

I am surprised to see the mapping process - I had just assumed you took wavelengths of light and mapped them onto wavelengths of sound. That probably wouldn't have sounded nearly as awesome though!

Aug. 13 2012 11:06 PM