MOVIE BLOOD: Jad & Robert Get a Tour

Friday, August 02, 2013 - 04:00 AM

While our team was brain-storming ideas for our Blood episode, Robert wondered what it would be like to peek behind the scenes of movie-magic-blood. We made a few calls, wrote a few emails, and then the talented (AMAZING) Coen Brothers recommended we get a hold of Christien Tinsley.

Mr. Tinsley has worked with J.J. Abrams, Michel Bay, Jon Faverau and tons of other Hollywood directors, and (to our delight) he was more than happy to show us around his studio. Here are a few quick photos Jad snagged on the tour.

(Our many thanks to Robin Hatcher and all the good folks at Tinsley Studio.)

Jad slashes Robert!

No big deal...just a bit of exposed arm bone:

And your basic condom o' blood:

The classic, squeeze-n-drip (P.S. this particular leg is a cast of Javier Bardem's thigh, made for "No Country for Old Men":

Just in case you aren't woozy yet, may I present, this dude's head:

Editors:

Brenna Farrell

Brenn Collins

This was awesome!!! keep going radiolab!

Aug. 23 2013 10:10 AM
Lindsey

These picture are gross. I kindof don't want to see them every time I go to radiolab's home page. Just saying.

Aug. 11 2013 07:53 PM
Any woman, anywhere from Los Angeles

Women bleed for 4-7 days out of the month! We know blood, my brothers. No interesting/scientific/humorous stories from the female perspective?? Good story, but missed opportunity.

Aug. 07 2013 08:30 PM
EMILIA

Aug. 06 2013 06:50 PM
Lori from Chicago

As always, a very interesting. I was a bit taken aback at Robert's comments about how unusual it was for people to have so much intimate contact with blood. (I think this was during his story about fainting and spilling a vile of blood on himself.) I beg to differ and I think many/most/all women would as well. Trust me - we are intimately and regularly familiar with blood. We know all about blood on clothing. We can tell you LOTS of stories about that. Human men may be out of touch with their blood; human women are all too aware of its omnipresence.

Aug. 06 2013 11:43 AM
Comments are Funk from Gilbert, AZ

Amazingly I started feeling woozy just listening to the opening sequence... terrific episode!

Aug. 05 2013 04:45 PM
Jessica Malumay from LA

This is BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for this! ^_^

Aug. 05 2013 01:06 PM
ckilly from NH, USA

Thank you Radio Lab for such a great podcast regarding BLOOD. The entertainment level was an A+ and the education level was an A++. I especially liked the section on new and old blood. I wonder if any of you discussed whether just donating blood would provide one with new blood since our bodies create it for us. Thank you again and keep up the excellent work. :)

Aug. 02 2013 12:41 PM