Out of Body, Roger

I was there. But I, like, wasn't there. I was floating. I was looking at myself from outside of myself.

If it hasn't happened to you, it's likely happened to somebody you know. And whether or not you believe it, about one in ten people report having had one. "Out of body" experience, it's a dirty word in many circles. Which is perhaps why pilots call it "G-LOC" (gravity-induced loss of consciousness, pronounced "G-lock" not "glok"). Turns out this kind of experience (call it what you want) occurs quite frequently among fighter pilots. Producers Ann Heppermann and Kara Oehler bring us the story. We'll hear from pilots Tim Sestak, and Col. Dan Fulgham on what it's like to lose yourself, unfortunately for us skiddish passenger-types, while flying a plane. Finally we'll hear from Dr. James Whinnery, who simulates G-LOC by placing pilots in giant centrifuges. His research monitors their brain activity as they accelerate to speeds inducing this loss of consciousness. But Doc Whinnery isn't just a scientist, he's a subject. And his research has taken him to some surprising places.

Barbara Appel from NY, NY

A brain viewing one's body from above and seeing it as very separate has often been cited by Holocaust (and other great trauma) survivors as a response to the trauma and/or as a way of coping with it.

Dec. 01 2013 08:16 PM
RAleksandr@gmail.com from US

The reports of sudden, intense dream-like states remind me of experiences people have on Salvia Divinorum. You're conscious, aware; then, blam, a feeling of being deeply asleep and dreaming, complete with physical movements. Seems those experiences and the out-of-body thing have some common links; would be interesting to find out what exactly.

Nov. 25 2013 05:31 AM
Leslie Cheek from Dallas, Texas

I thought out-of-body was common. ???

Oct. 11 2013 08:32 AM
Martine Courville from Sudbury Ontario Canada

My name is

MARTINE COURVILLE

I LIVE AT 1960-A. #205
PARIS ST
SUDBURY, ONTARIO, CANADA
705-562-5523
Send me a Facebook friend request
Make a list of questions
Much easier to explain written than oral

THE CITY OF SUDBURY IS UNDER NASA EXPERIMENT

IN A NASA COMPUTER ROOM

THERE ARE LOOK A LIKES OF PEOPLE ALL OVER THE CITY

THERE IS A PATTERN IN CARS

SUDBURY IS MAGNETIZED BY UNDERGROUND MINES

OUT HEALTH CENTRE IS MAGNETIZED

I SEE FLASHES/ GLITCHES IN MY BRAIN ALL DAY LONG

NASA COMBINES SOLAR,WIND, RAIN, LIGHTNING ENERGY TO PRODUCE CONDUCTIVITY ALONGSIDE COMPUTER PROGRAM TO MAKE THIS WORK

THE SKY IS A 3D PROJECTION

THERE IS A LAYER /SCREEN UNDERNEATH THE NON- EXISTING OZONE LAYER TO PROTECT PEOPLE FROM THE SUN

THE SUN HAS AN ECLIPSE TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE

PROJECT ALICE IS A FAIL

I
AM
ALICE

Aug. 04 2013 10:50 AM
Vinicius from Rio de Janeiro

How can a brain see itself from a place out of its own body?

Without eyes, brain cannot see anything.

Feb. 13 2013 08:10 AM
Jim in Fremont from Seattle, WA

Wow. I thought this was a fluke. I have a disorder "Neurocardiogenic Synchope" whereby I occassionally loose conciousness due to a sudden drop in blood pressure when standing up on a tilt table at a 70 degree angle. It is very similar to the effect on pilots and I was told NASA may be studying it. One day I had a very similar "out of body" experience where I found myself floating in space. Completely aware of the stars, planets etc. but, unlike a normal dream, completely unaware of my sense of self or the passage of time. I was completely at peace and since then I've had this sense that I'm not afraid of what lies beyond death. It was profound. I'd be curious if these researchers are looking into this disorder and if any studys have been done related to Lucid Dreaming. Similar states have been reported as part of certain lucid dream states. I'd like to hear more on these topics. Fascinating and now I don't feel I'm crazy or alone in having had such an experience.

Aug. 08 2012 01:12 PM
patricia from maple, wi

this is the first time i have heard rational people share their experiences about lights, tunnels, etc. without a religious explanation. this happened to me 54 years ago while experiencing a traumatic delivery of my son. i have never had anyone explain this absolutely real to me event. it included out of body as well as a rushing towards a light which resulted in a feeling of knowing the secrets of existence..i experienced pts sydrome for decades and now i can understand that my brain was confused about being separated from my body. i guess huge amounts of ether and other drugs probably played a part. it was a horrible way to experience a death, but bearable because i am here to remember it. thanks for this fascinating show.

Aug. 04 2012 05:46 PM
mark gross from portland, or

I believe what is happening is the under the blood stress the brains Bayesian predictor is running slower than real time and that effectively pulls you into an out of body experience.

Our minds have a running reality simulation running all the time and its core to being coordinated and able to move well. We do a feedback loop that corrects the predicted reality against sensory input. If the feedback loop is out of sync by seconds we'll be confused and have out of body experiences. Under the blood starvation stress I believe this simulator is running out of sync (slower?) from real time.

pretty cool.

Feb. 18 2012 05:47 PM
dan elliott from northern california

I once experienced the light at the end of the
tunnel when i overdosed on drugs 30 years ago. They thought I had died of rabies i went
to the morgue but woke up Inside a soft
black tunnel where there was no sound and no pain It was tempting to stay there but
I knew it meant I would die. I saw a tunnel
with a light at the end and realized the
tunnel was my throat and my awareness
was below my throat and the light was
the light from the living world which I could
see through my mouth. It was an extremely
hard climb but I wanted to live.From there
I was taken to a mental hospital and I had
heavy hallucinations continuosly for 3 months. I liked your radio show its amazing
what our minds can do.

Sep. 03 2011 10:38 PM
Nate Turner

Joshua, I don't know of experiments done with traditional OOBEs, but I know experiments have been done with actual NDEs and have found no indication that people are actually 'outside their bodies.'

I think this is the article (essay?); it's been awhile since I read it.

Jun. 17 2010 01:07 PM
Joshua Brown from Cleveland Ohio

Just listened to podcast. Loved the story. I can't believe you didn't ask this question though: Did Dr. James Whinnery do any tests to determine if there was an actual out of body experience or just the perception of it. In his actual experience he talks about seeing himself walking down the hall. Well the 1st thing I would do is have someone write something on the subjects back and see if the subject could say what it was. My assumption would be no, that the mind was only using the information it had to produce the sensation, but if they could actually see that would be quite the WOW factor. At the very least it would be an easy test for confirmation.

Feb. 16 2010 08:47 AM
Tom D Ford from Bend Oregon

I thought that “out of body” was normal to high performance athletes. I trained and alpine (snow) ski raced to a high enough level that I could push my speed to a level that surpassed my minds ability to be in constant command and control, and then I just trusted my body and muscles to do what they were trained to do and my mind watched from out of and behind my body, looking ahead for any chances coming up to go faster or need to slow down and then I would mentally reach inside my body and tell it to get ready to adjust to the upcoming change. That is to say, I trusted my body to do what it was trained to do and then put my “out of body” mind to work looking ahead in the race course for any need or opportunity to change what I wanted my body to do in the future.

And I just assumed that was the norm for athletes like martial arts fighters, ballet dancers, and everyone else who trains their body to a very high level. Train to trust the muscle memory and then the mind can look ahead and pay attention to what is coming in the near future.

Most people don’t have to think about walking, after they learn how, they just do it, and they put their mind to thinking about other things while they are walking, they trust their muscle memory to do the walking process. The mind and body are doing separate things, but now I wonder at what point a person becomes consciously aware of his mind being “out of body”, what makes that happen?!?

Apr. 18 2009 04:45 PM
John Kirby from Davis, Ca

I've just listened to this show via podcast, so I know I'm 6 months late. I'm curious if any of the neurologists interviewed have any thoughts about how so called dissociative anesthetics affect the brain/body interaction. A friend of mine has said that it is much most more out of body then numbness type of anesthesia.

Feb. 03 2008 11:28 PM