Take a deep breath -- hold it -- now exhale

We can’t control stress, but what we can do is understand it. Neuropsychologist Dr. Kamran Fallahpour lets us listen to the sound of our own stress (a sort of a high pitched whine). His theory is that if you can hear your stress you can control it. Not to say all stress is bad: MTV producer Colby Hall battles a boat propellor and survives by virtue of stress hormones. Dr. Robert Sapolsky explains how it works - stress hormones shut down pain, often leaving the victim the calmest person at the scene.

Arthur Ziffel

The stupid misplaced apostrophe in "let's us" is stressing me out, man.

Nov. 10 2015 01:52 PM
ChrisG from Berkeley, CA

For Jonathan from Nashville, it's possible you were asking about the other piano music that occurs at the end of part one of this "Stress" episode, and at the beginning of part two.
It's from Bernard Herrmann's music for The Day the Earth Stood Still.
See/hear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cPEchNTSE0 at about 1:50 in.
Incidentally, a small part of the soundtrack to the original Planet of the Apes is also used in this episode.

Nov. 08 2015 08:00 PM
ChrisG from Berkeley, CA

It's from Bernard Herrmann's music for The Day the Earth Stood Still.
See/hear https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cPEchNTSE0 at about 1:50 in.

Nov. 08 2015 07:56 PM
shannon

HA! i am having a particularly stressful day at work and was looking to find the song as well. of course the comments section delivers. i love the internet!

Jan. 23 2014 05:20 PM
Jonathan from Nashville, tn

Please excuse my ignorance - what is the name of the piano piece near the beginning?

Jan. 20 2014 11:24 AM
Patrick from Australia

@Chris - Came here trying to find the same thing! Then I realised it was lurking somewhere within my iTunes Library.

The piece is "Trois Gymnopédies: I. Lent Et Douloureux"

Aug. 15 2012 12:01 AM
Chris from UK

I often listen to an episode of RadioLab as I climb into bed, as it's the only time I get to listen to my podcasts when I can justify having no visual stimulus.

So I was almost on the way to nodding off in the middle of Jad's stress test, and I know I recognise that piece of background music which re-appears around the 5:00 mark. Anybody have a title?

Apr. 06 2012 05:27 PM
Aaron from Manchester

Feeling a bit queasy as I listen to this in the library- congrats guys the boat story was pretty vivid.
I'm a big fan of your shows, it'd be good to hear more urban/architecture related episodes, of the 'Cities' type.

This is pretty interesting.

Also feel free to check out my work.

www.aje-architecture.com

Mar. 01 2012 07:00 AM
Cat from Vancouver

Damn it, Jad! I almost fainted on the train to work. LOL!
The boating accident was really vivid. I guess that makes me "a little squeamish".

Absolutely love the Podcasts, listening to them whenever I commute. Thanks so much!

Apr. 26 2011 11:58 AM
Lynsey from NYC

Just wanted to be sure someone there was aware that tigers don't run around the savanna. Tigers are Asian, and impalas on the savanna are in Africa.

But, kickass show! I loved it! Just wanted to make sure people were aware.

Jun. 12 2010 12:40 AM