Ruled By Time

The self-declared Independent State of Trolheim does not recognize GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). Jay Griffiths argues that the question of what time it is in inextricably bound up with issues of power and politics. And we'll hear a piece from producer Aaron Ximm on the experience of listening to Beethoven's 9th Symphony for 24 hours straight- but only hearing it once.

Curt

i cant seem to find the link to the full 9 beet stretch :'(

Oct. 01 2014 03:00 PM
Lily Benson from Brooklyn, NY

During moderate activity, a normal heart beat is at around 75-100 bpm.
I wonder if that's why we are most comfortable with predicting beats at 96bpm.

Mar. 11 2013 02:12 PM
Dor from New York, NY

Anyone know where I can find Beethoven's music at its sped up possibly more authentic pace? I've searched to no avail.

Feb. 23 2013 11:09 AM
DPLblog from Berks Couny, PA

I've been listening to this 9 Beet Stretch piece at work and I feel so much more productive and alert. Maybe I'm doing the exact same work and the normal pace, but the music just makes me feel like I'm acting at hummingbird speed. Fantastic stuff, thanks RadioLab.

Jan. 21 2013 12:11 PM

Beethoven's symphonies, opera, concertos, sonatas, string quartets, overtures, chamber music generally ,and song literature, is so pervasive and his world consciousness and basic humanity construct an icon unparalleled to and past his own era. At Juilliard, I studied his oeuvre and , in those days, all singers learned the concert rep of Beethoven , Schubert , Schumann, Wolf and Grieg, whether they would be opera singers or concert singers . So much of our treasured masterpieces, vocal and instrumental, are unknown quantities to most Americans. THANK YOU WQXR FOR CELEBRATING BEETHOVEN !!! Beethoven's symphonies are the ABCs of most essential single composers' oeuvre of the symphonic literature. Who ever having heard the Waldstein well performed can ever forget its beauty and nuanced scope of emotions. Wagner and his contemporaries and their successors all recognized the epic achievement of Beethoven. I am a romantischer Wagnerian heldentenor and director of the Richard Wagner Music Drama Institute at 418A Main Street, Boonton, NJ . I have sung four solo concerts in the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall. As part of my Ten Language Solo Debut concert at the Isaac Stern Auditorium of Carnegie Hall, I sang the Gott ! welch dunkel hier ! aria of Fidelio. it can be heard from the live performance on my three websites, one of which is www.WagnerOpera.com It received rave critical notices in newspapers and magazines. Rudolf Serkin and his son, Peter are among those other great interpreters of Beethoven's piano concertos and sonatas, Artur Rubinstein, Vladimir Horowitz, Walter Gieseking, ignace Paderevski, Emil Gilels and Simon Barere, remarkable for their virtuosity, and immense ability to interpret from their own perspective. The Beethoven violin concerto is celebrated by its ardent interpreters Heifetz, Menuhin, Kreisler and Perlman. Famous singers singing Beethoven are/were Alexander Kipnis, Friedrich Schorr, Kirsten Flagstad, Margarete Matzenauer, Lawrence Tibbett, Ludwig Weber, Rose Bampton, George London,Leonie Rysanek, Birgit Nilsson and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau.

Nov. 23 2012 09:57 PM
Michael Newton from Edmonton, AB

Your link doesn't work any more; you can get to 9 Beet Stretch here: http://www.park.nl/park_cms/public/index.php?thisarticle=118

Sep. 02 2010 11:20 AM
'Mash from London, UK

Inspired by this show I decided to stretch short segments of Flamenco cante (song) 100x their original length. Below are my results...

Jun. 10 2010 07:05 AM
ed haynes from san antonio, TX

The most important question NOT asked on your time segment: if all moments perpetually exist and choice is not what we thought it was, and maybe doesn't exist, then all our thoughts are NOT the product of thoughtful deliberation, but are determined by physical forces we don't control. So this theory itself cannot gain credibility because it is no longer the result of scientific reason, but only from random molecular collisions in the brain of show's guest! (Why trust a saying from a so-called scientist, if his theory didn't come from his choosing to follow the logical ramifications of an investigation, but is only the random but unavoidable accidents within his cerebrum?) Nor can any intelligence exist, or science itself. However if the theory of perpetual NOW is not true, then we can trust our thoughts and theories because they can be the result of logical choices, reasoned inquiry.
It appears that determinism saws off the limb it sits upon, by saying our thoughts are determined by no "intelligent design", and then asking us to believe those thoughts as if they "are true". But determined thoughts can not gain credence if they are never the result of freely choosing to follow the logical outcomes of a chain of evidence but are only as meaningful as random ricocheting of molecules in a brain that believes in illusions like "thought" and "consciousness". This is more important that wanting to believe I chose vanilla over chocolate!

Aug. 13 2008 07:23 AM
Robert from Jordan

Listen to the whole "9 Beet Stretch" ?

Check this free Beethoven