But Am I Really Dead?

9. Booyah Mozart: Producer Lulu Miller brings us a conversation with geologist Jan Zalasiewicz about what we’ll leave behind … in a hundred million years. 10. Cyberternity: Producer Emily Voigt tells a story about a guy named Wyatt, fixed in time. 11. Goodbye: Paleontologist and professor Peter Ward describes the ultimate death, the death of the universe ... THE END.

Alfredo Oliveira from Saint Cloud, Minnesota

I heard this episode on Saturday afternoon on my way back from class (on MPRnews). I LOVED IT! It really engaged my and I could not stop listening, even after I got back from campus. I stayed in my car to the end. Keep up with the good work.

Feb. 27 2013 12:26 AM
Jerry Parker from Southern California

I hope this is the same show. I only heard the final minutes, but the scientist was describing how the universe would end, even the atoms disintegrating so there would be nothing left but string soup everywhere - the end. However, that's quite true. While scientists are used to dealing with huge numbers, they often forget that infinity is just a bit different, especially in relation to probabilities. The probability that all that string soup would get together and cause a big bang so everything would start over again, is exceedingly unlikely, maybe, 1 in ten to the minus google. However, multiply that by the infinite time that this muck will exist and you get a meaningful probability, that is, high liklihood of a new beginning. So be optimistic. :-)

Jul. 21 2012 07:37 PM
Karl

Great show (in part to Jeffrey Tambor's cameo). Thanks for not ending the the program after this episode, though.

May. 27 2010 05:22 PM
Dianna from NY, NY

GREAT SHOW!
Wonder if you are aware of this exhibit at the Rubin Museum?

Remember That You Will Die: Death Across Cultures.
This exhibition presents eerily beautiful and at times frightening images from the Christian European and Tibetan Buddhist traditions meant to urge viewers to contemplate their mortality and inspire them to use their short time on earth to secure a desirable place in the afterlife.
Dianna

Feb. 27 2010 03:29 PM
zeeshan from pakistan,hyderabad

great but not my type.

Jan. 03 2010 03:55 AM
DNA

I loved listening to After Life. I wonder if any of your crew checked out The American Book of the Dead by E.J. Gold. AOBTD is in the similar tone of the Bardo Thodol (The Liberation Through Hearing During the Intermediate State) aka Tibetan Book of the Dead and The Psychedelic Experience: A Manual Based on the Tibetan Book of the Dead.
I recommend these books for further insight into the “after life” (which is not separate from this place here and now. The sacrament/entheogen/oneirogen Salvia divinorum is another safe way to gain/recover insight into said experience, I’d recommend reading The Salvia divinorum User’s Guide http://www.sagewisdom.org/usersguide.html to ensure safety and optimal results if you use this method.
Thanks for your wonderful episodes, keep up the Great Work :)

Oct. 19 2009 04:15 AM
Aaron Petcoff from Detroit, MI

Oh my god, we've jumped into the future!

Jul. 30 2009 06:14 PM