Limits of the Body

Jad and Robert talk to two Ironman competitors, Julie Moss and Wendy Ingraham to find out how they do what they do. Physiologist Dr. David Jones tells us how to trick the voice in your head that tells you you're exhausted. Then we follow two men, Patrick Autissier and Jure Robic, as they bike across the country as fast as they can in a crazy race called The Ride Across America. Producer Lulu Miller brings us their story and New York Times writer Daniel Coyle walks us through the process of physical and mental breakdown RAAM competitors face.

Andrew

What is the xylophone song played on this podcast?!

Apr. 23 2013 09:54 AM
Colon cleanse Bloating gas

WOW just what I was searching for. Came here by searching for Radiolab

Mar. 06 2013 11:39 PM
Dona from Barcelona, Spain

I remember watching this Ironman as a pre-teen on TV with my mom. We were both horrified and screaming at the screen for someone to save that poor woman. Every time I see an Ironman event now, visions of Julie come to my head and I always wondered what happened to that unstoppable woman. It warms my heart to know that she's alive, well, funny and thriving.

Sep. 05 2012 06:19 AM
Jason Karp from San Diego, CA

As an exercise physiologist and running coach, I found this broadcast very interesting. I've always been fascinated by the science and limits of athletic performance, which is what drove me into this field.

Jason Karp, PhD

Sep. 03 2012 09:44 PM
Sandi from Turkey

Just a couple of days ago I had just listened to this podcast and used Julie Moss's story (and the video I found on YouTube) to encourage my daughter to continue in the 'race' she is running. She is going through a kind of mental marathon as she prepares for the university entrance exams here in Turkey. Thanks so much for this podcast!

Mar. 06 2012 02:41 PM
Barb

I was a few weeks away from my first Half Marathon. Despite months of training I didn't think I would be able to finish. I headed out on a training run with my ipod with newly downloaded RadioLab podcasts. As I ran that day I listened to the "Limits" podcast for the first time. That podcast was a turning point for me. It made me realize that running was as much about mental endurance as it was physical training. I've run several Half Marathons since then.
Thank you Radio Lab for this inspirational show.

Oct. 17 2011 07:53 PM
David from Melbourne, Australia

Great episode guys, very inspiring for endurance athletes. I was saddened to hear that Jure Robic was killed in a bicycle accident while training in Slovinia in September 2010, a great loss.

May. 26 2011 02:08 AM
J.C. Armbruster from Olympia, WA USA

I was caught up in the drama of Julie Moss' Ironman crawl to the finish. But I felt deprived of what Moss could have told us about how the event formed (or reformed) her life AFTER the competition. I felt the rest of the story was left out. Lack of time?

Apr. 08 2011 10:54 PM
Luke Ollett from Santiago Chile

3 meters to go

He pulls ahead with a lurch of his bike and suddenly the world is awash with failure and heartache. I travelled so far. I trained for so long. I worked so hard. And like a rabid bat, my hopes for redemption flutter away beyond my grasp. I consider taking him out in a spectacular climax to what would otherwise be a boring story.

1 meter to go

I often visualize what life would be like if we lived every minute of every day in the final passionate throws of a bike race sprint. Once you got over the fact that we would all be walking around with our tounges hanging out and wearing spandex, we would realize that our world suddenly became conquerable and was no longer a mystery. It is at this time that life finds new ways to exist. Like the infinitely split atom that will forever keep getting smaller, life can find new existence when pushed hard enough. Like the cold fusion power plant that I am, I chuck, hurl, roll, and muster even more energy and strength to frantically launch my body into an epileptic frenzy. I am moving so fast I appear to be a blur to the wall of onlookers I am about to eradicate. I look to my right and see myself. An exhausted vessel of emerging life, finally climaxing after many an hour of fore play

Epilogue

Standing on a podium, thats pretty cool. Having some fat guy drape a medal around your neck while you lift the flowers and shake your fists to the crowd in anger and love, oh that’s nice. But pushing yourself past a limit of pain that you thought never existed, and likely doesn’t exist anymore, is a gift and pleasure that can not be equalled by most anything on this planet. Bring on the pain.

I thought that sums it up for me ... from http://www.ourthursday.com/2011/03/23/challenge-blog-we-all-have-a-little-masochist-in-us/

Mar. 24 2011 07:59 PM
V from Des Moines IA

I was listening to the this podcast when I was working out...very interesting timing!! I'm wildly out of shape and my body was screaming at10 minutes on the treadmill for me to stop. I couldn't very well do that if I was listening about a woman who crawled to the finish line!!
I did wish i'd had some sport drink to swish though.

BTW-Radiolab is unbelievable, every time I listen to it I'm floored with what I learn.

Nov. 12 2010 05:53 PM
paul solon

when hallucinating one has to stop if he thinks his hallucinations are real. if not he can crash and can end his race.

by the way, juri died a few days ago, hit by a car, cause of accident unknown. it is terrible news.

paul solon, italy

Sep. 29 2010 05:37 AM
Lis Riba

The descriptions of the bicycle race sounded scarily familiar to June Havoc's descriptions of the dance marathons she participated in back in the 1930s. [Look up her autobiography, "Early Havoc" - a fascinating read]

May. 30 2010 11:28 PM
Andrew Cathcart from Australia

Fantastic podcast, great insights.
I finished my second, 24hr MTB race 2 months ago. I felt Julies pain when she was passed near the end.
The first time I did a 24hr I stopped to stretch for 2mins every lap (about 35min laps)Finished very fatigued and sore, but uninjured. My goal was just to finish, and I finished second :)
The second time (two months ago) was very different. It was a World Titles qualifier event, I wanted to push harder and it was a stronger field. I did the first 6hrs without stopping, had drinks and food passed to me on the go. Minimized my downtime when getting lights etc by swapping bikes. Average HR 8hrs in was over 150bpm, I was going too hard. 20hrs in was coming 3rd and feeling good, but struggling to eat and drink enough. With 2hrs to go I was passed, by one then later another. My last lap was insane, I struggled around walking half the way and crying out in pain each time i got back on the bike. Half way round the last lap we went past the transition and I had the opportunity to pull out by just walking 50 meters to my tent. I sobbed as I pushed on past choosing to suffer for another 4km. But I FINISHED and came 5th. That night the toxins in my blood from broken down muscle had me in a weird all over pain like nothing I had ever experienced. A week later I had surgery to remove large and deep areas of dead tissue from my buttocks on both sides. Long periods of sitting and pounding had cut off the circulation. Now 2 months later I'm back on the bike, for short and uncomfortable rides with my 7yr old son, who calls me "Dead arse Dad" ;) Going to be a slow recovery, not sure what the future holds for me. Part of me want to do endurance racing still, but maybe not 24hrs.
I hope my wife doesn't see me looking at the RAAM website :)

May. 17 2010 12:33 AM
Carin Abrahamsohn from New Jersey

This story reminded me of a great documentary called "Big River Man" -- he swims entire rivers, and this documents his way from the source to mouth of the Amazon. He experiences something very similar...

Apr. 30 2010 06:36 PM
Kenny Mac from 07003

I crewed for a RAAM womens team in the 90's and was awed hourly. They were in peak shape physically but it's impossible to train for the mental strength it takes to complete the race. We had one gal suffer from dehydration from a dance with in the AZ desert and go down for a day. The others pulled even harder awaiting her teammates return. The riders slept for 3 hour shifts, support slept when we could. We passed by the solo riders who appeared to be asleep on the fly

Apr. 30 2010 04:37 PM
Paul Bardis from Plattsburgh, NY

The 24 Hour Solo Mountain Bike Racers are another one to check out. The bikers at the last world championship raced over 200 miles and climbed a total of over 30,000 feet on rugged rooted, rocky, dusty, grizzly infested trails - stopping for only moments at a time and getting no sleep. They are in the same category as these other endurance racers. They all amaze me.

Apr. 23 2010 10:35 PM
Ted from Louisiana

To Skipper from Palo Alto, CA: The Texas Water Safari is another such event. It is a 260 mile canoe/kayak race with a 100 hour time limit. I completed it solo in 2006 which was a hot, low-water year. I look back on it now and wonder how in the world I did it. I was 57 then and it was my second attempt, having failed in my first attempt 2 years earlier. Even though one feels TOTALLY spent, the body still finds a way to continue and finish.

Apr. 20 2010 01:00 AM
Angela Meadon from Durban, South Africa

Inspirational!

Apr. 19 2010 11:55 AM
Kim

I was wondering what happened to Julie Moss and the others after the event/race?
Physically, were they hospitalized, treated in some way? What did they do to recover and was there any long term effects? The memory people suffered in a different way not brought on by their ambition or drive.
Love the Lab

Apr. 18 2010 09:28 PM
Susie Mouri from Fairfax, VA

RAAM is Race Across America -- www.raceacrossamerica.org/ -- not Ride Across America. Two very different things.

Apr. 16 2010 11:07 AM
Marian from Louisiana

per Skipper's question, there is a similar ride across Africa. I remember reading one rider's blog. I did a search and found http://www.africa-ata.org/sports3.htm

Apr. 13 2010 12:10 AM
Sandi from Madison, WI

I was a little disappointed that the discussion on The Limits of Knowledge didn't include Thomas Kuhn's "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions".

That warm, fuzzy "Aha!" moment in the grand world of science is a (pardon me) paradigm shift. And sadly, those of us living in the old paradigm cannot even vaguely imagine the new paradigm until one creative mind can see it differently. (See examples: Galileo, Newton, Einstein)

Apr. 12 2010 06:33 PM
Matilda from New Jersey

I loved the whole episode (I've been a fan of the Ironman for a long time, too), but is that a gamelan I hear in this section?

Apr. 08 2010 11:04 AM
Bart

I was moved when I heard Julie's story, but I actually cried when I saw the clip.

There are certain things we hear or see that we consider life-changing. Seldom do we really change. Yet, I do think seeing Julie crawl to the finish line could be one of the most cathartic scenes we could witness witness.

Apr. 08 2010 08:55 AM
Skipper from Palo Alto, California

As an additional anecdote in this theme, I highly recommend Ken Kamler's TED talk on the terrible Mt. Everest disaster for which he was the primary doctor. Many people died, but one particular individual could very well have been featured in this Radiolab.

It's worth the time: http://www.ted.com/talks/ken_kamler_medical_miracle_on_everest.html

Apr. 07 2010 07:13 PM
Skipper from Palo Alto, California

@Andrew I think you've on the right track, but suicide is not a goal for the people in these stories. They are somehow able to transcend or bypass the human survival instinct, so it is similar to the way we can commit suicide of our own volition, but the 'death' here is only temporary; even accidental (e.g. hallucination).

Apr. 07 2010 04:27 PM
Andrew from Columbus, OH

Suicide can happen via bike, triathalon, or pain killer. Our limit is our ability to kill our self. Radiolab should have discussed this.

Apr. 07 2010 02:58 PM
Skipper from Palo Alto, California

Some amazing feats of endurance emerge in these events! The fact there are enough people to turn the Race Across America into a 10 day competition is mind-blowing by itself.

Does anyone know of similar events (perhaps a list somewhere?), or of other incidental case studies in physical outliers?

Apr. 06 2010 02:49 AM