Making Radiolab

Friday, November 09, 2007 - 12:00 PM

lights lights (turbojoe (away)/flickr)

In spring of 2006, Jad and Robert took the stage at the SoHo Apple Store to talk about the making of Radiolab. Jad geeks out on the nitty-gritty of digital sound editing, and Robert discusses the editorial questions raised in creating imaginative soundscapes. And film editor Walter Murch weighs in on the components of storytelling.

Correction: An earlier version of this short incorrectly stated that Stravinsky’s “Rite of Spring” premiered in 1938. In fact, it premiered in 1913. The audio has been adjusted to reflect this fact.

Oscar from Norway

@DrSnap

You can hear more about the Stravinsky Opera in the episode "Musical Language" ( http://www.radiolab.org/2007/sep/24/ ).

Feb. 27 2012 01:20 AM

I found the part on Stravinsky's Opera and the dopamine emitting Auditory cortex very interesting. Did you go deeper into the topic in another Episode?

I wonder if extreme modern music trends like Techno, Electro and Dubstep (noise, my parents generation would call it) work on the same principle. The new sounds are so unknown to our brain that they are revolting at first but become pleasurable after a while and normal (or boring) after a few months. Is it exactly that release of dopamine that makes us look for crazier and crazier music?

Cheers

Jan. 27 2012 08:00 PM

You say people mourn the playfulness and excitement of science in childhood. Have you considered producing a program directed toward elementary students? Though my seven-year-old son adores the show as it is...

Dec. 01 2010 01:37 PM
runcyclexcski from VA

cute LEDs. :)

Sep. 04 2010 02:57 PM
Jon Tjhia

That screen grab looks like Adobe Audition, but I could be wrong.

To the webmaster - there's something weird happening with your comment form. When I tab through the fields, it sends me back and forth from the search form. Eep!

Enjoyed this piece a lot.

Mar. 18 2010 01:30 AM
Jeff H.

Jad, Robert et al:
I love this every time I listen. Wonder what software Jad uses & what is your advice to someone who wants to break into the field?

Nov. 13 2009 12:45 PM