Get Your Goat

Friday, March 07, 2008 - 09:00 AM

Why would a goat stand on a cow? And what on earth does this question have to do with hundreds of mysterious letters from homesick soldiers? We can't exactly promise definitive answers. But we can promise one heck of a good detective story. The story inspired listener Brett Miller to make this incredible drawing of the 'Cordial Cow.' We love it.

Thanks Brett!

And now you can download a ringtone from 'Goat on a Cow':

Download MP3 to your desktop then contact your service provider for further instructions.

mb

When I was in sixth grade, my family and I visited friends in Tennessee. They lived on a farm in the middle of many farms. When driving by one cow pasture, we stopped to look at a goat standing on a cow. I took a few pictures.

When I showed the pictures at school, I was accused of photo-trickery. I'm glad other people now know that goats like to hang out on cows' backs.

Mar. 30 2008 07:36 PM
Daedalus

PRFreak...yes you are mistaken.

Mar. 12 2008 09:32 PM
PRfreak

Am i mistaken in thinking that This American Life did a version of the cow/goat/letters? A very very similar version?

Well anyways, if you are going to do crossovers, you should do your own version of the wildly popular "Testosterone." TAL's was great, so to would yours be.

I would also like to here shows on Evolutionary Psychology and Sexual Selection.

Thanks!

Mar. 12 2008 09:31 AM
Sean

This is a general question - what's up with the podcasts? I've only gotten Laughter so far, and while I caught deception on WNYC I missed part of last the War of the Worlds & it's not up on the website yet. Will they be coming through the pipeline soon?

Sean

Mar. 10 2008 08:14 PM
joe

It is no Barack Obama ring tone but it will do.

Mar. 10 2008 07:34 PM
Sal

best. episode. EVER.

Mar. 10 2008 07:05 PM
Steve H.

I love all the episodes of Radiolab, but this one — especially the story of the letters, the goat, and the cow — was one of the most memorable. In fact, I recently cited it as such in a blog post promoting Radiolab! I imagine that ringtone will be rewarded with several befuddled looks when your cell goes off in the middle of the library.

Mar. 07 2008 09:18 AM