40 Hours and 40 Winks?

Friday, March 14, 2008 - 10:00 AM

sleeping at work (zee_rocks/flickr)

Apparently the biggest factor in the amount of sleep we get is whether or not we have a job. Earlier this week, the Washington Post featured an article on a new report, 'Not So Deprived: Sleep in America, 1965-2005,' that found that employment status had a greater effect on sleep than age, race, or sex.

The report also found that Americans seem to be getting more sleep now than they did in 2000. Part of the story may be that, when left to our devices, we tend to underestimate the actual amount of sleep we get.

For a skeptical look at widespread sleep deprivation, check out Deflating the Bogus Insomnia Epidemic in Discover. And explore the science of why we sleep, and what happens when we don't, in Sleep.

Do you get enough sleep? Does your job affect the amount of sleep you get? Have you ever taken a nap at work?

Arkonbey

Nice mock.

Isn't it funny how nearly everything can be made dirty?

Apr. 02 2008 10:36 AM
Sad

I stayed very still until they’d finished.

Mar. 31 2008 06:22 PM
J Reilly

Is radiolab available for live performances? I book for a venue on Long Island. Please get back to me either yes, no or we can't decide right now, so get off our backs.
J Reilly

Mar. 17 2008 01:13 PM
J Reilly

I saw a researcher this morning on TV news who claims that humans tend to lose the ability for "deep" sleep as they get older and that the lack of "deep" sleep can be related to the onset of diabetes, overeating and some other stuff. I can't give you more details because I was just coming out of a deep sleep.
J Reilly

Mar. 17 2008 01:07 PM
Arkonbey

Having been a Search & Rescue helo crewman in the Coast Guard, I've got lots of 'sleep stories.

Early on, I'd trained myself to take 5 minute min-naps for long SAR cases. On the ground, I'd get up early every morning, set my watch alarm for 5 minutes (wake, repeat). After a month or so, If I was flying, I would be able to sleep for five minutes, wake, make sure nothing was up, then repeat. This way I was always rested when we would arrive on-scene at 3am.

Like Aimee, I had a great clandestine nap once. Under a worktable in the Engine Shop at Airstation Kodiak. And woke to find the base Engineering Officer, the Maintenance Chief and my boss having a meeting around the very table. I stayed very still until they'd finished.

When I worked the midnight-8am shift, we'd all do our work in an hour, draw straws to see who'd stay up, then the rest of the crew all hit the empty Rescue Swimmer Lounge and sack out on the couches, chairs and floor for 4 hours. This wasn't the exception, it was the rule.

Also, my callsign was 'Sleepy'. But that's another story...

and way to skate, Rem! On my boat it was the hawser locker. Comfy double-braid!

Mar. 17 2008 01:04 PM
rv

Sometimes it doesn't matter how much sleep I get because I just don't feel rested when I wake up.

I did take a nap in my car during my lunch break for 30 min. It was an accident, but it felt good.

Mar. 15 2008 10:05 AM
Henry

POST THE SHOW FROM OVER A WEEK AGO PLEASE!

Mar. 14 2008 02:37 PM
Rem

I used to work for the Navy.
i would sneak off and catch 15-30 minute naps INSIDE a radar dome (safety locks ON).
Cloud days were cool, but when the sun came out, I would be all sweaty. I would tell everyone I was working on the radar, The would have sympathy for me!

Mar. 14 2008 12:47 PM
Aimee

I once secretly crept into the storage closet at work, laid down next to two commuter bicycles and an old space heater, and set my watch to go off in 15 minutes. I figured it was just long enough to rest, but not so long that people would start looking for me.

It was the tastiest nap I've ever had.

Mar. 14 2008 11:42 AM
ben

My job severely impacts my sleep but ... 40 hours a week is wishful thinking. If I can ever get down to that I'll see if I can't pull off a solid 7-8 hours nightly.

Mar. 14 2008 11:29 AM