Music Lab #1

Monday, March 17, 2008 - 01:15 AM

Here's the first installment of 'Music Lab.' A place on the blog where Jad gets to play some of his favorite music and tell you why he likes it. Take a listen.

Song 1: In Him Is No Sin
By: Brethren Of The Free Spirit
Album: All Things Are From Him, Through Him And In Him

Song 2: Toward Water
By: Willits + Sakamoto
Album: Ocean Fire

Song 3: Magic Tubes
By: Chris Joss
Album: Teraphonic Overdubs

MORE LINKS:
-Read Dusted Magazine review of Brethren of the Free Spirit
-More about Ryuichi Sakamoto.
-More about Christopher Willits, on tour with another Jad favorite: Stars of the Lid

MJ

I loved this. I'm a fan of Ryuichi Sakamoto's music, and the rest were totally new, which is totally awesome. :) You should make Music Lab a regular feature.

Apr. 09 2008 12:14 AM
Dave G

Can anyone tell me the Artist(s) who were used during the episode "Sleep."

Please...

Apr. 07 2008 06:12 PM
Paul Drager

Great idea. I love podcasting my musical tastes. It's a lot easier to get people to listen than to shove something in their hands or sit them down somewhere and make them listen. People are so much more complaisant when it's on their own terms.

Anyway, can't wait for the next one.

Mar. 27 2008 02:20 PM
Alan Norbauer

Brethren of the Free Spirit has their CD for sale as mp3 downloads on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/All-things-are-Him-through/dp/B00160ZESQ/ref=dm_ap_alb1?ie=UTF8&qid=1206421491&sr=102-1

Mar. 25 2008 12:06 AM
Andrew

The Brethren track sounds like something from John Fahey, the sixties guitarist who wavered between country picking instrumentals and tape pieces a la Stockhausen. Check out his track I Am The Resurrection, or In Christ There is No East or West. The religious theme is like an homage to the black gospel/blues music. Also, I Am the Resurrection is the title of a tribute album featuring covers of his by M. Ward, Calexico, Sufjan Stevens, and the like.

Mar. 23 2008 11:38 AM
Calvin

If you like the Chris Joss piece, I recommend Fila Brazillia...

Mar. 18 2008 10:15 PM
Julie

I love this! More Music Lab, please. This is exactly the type of music I listen to, but sometimes difficult to find. It begins with Sigur Ros and The Album Leaf, and then leads to these wonderful little finds. Thank you!

Mar. 18 2008 08:44 PM
Mike

Loving the Magical Tubage.

Mar. 17 2008 03:11 PM
Stephen

I think that the "Brethren of the Free Spirit" is reference to a group that the painter Bosche was linked to. It was rumored that the "Garden of Earthly Delights" was tribute to hedonistic rituals performed by said group.

The book that I have that footnotes this is packed away, but if you want I could did it out.

Mar. 17 2008 02:49 AM