Woof, WHERE am I?

Thursday, March 20, 2008 - 01:18 PM

For a disturbing, but thought-provoking video clip that investigates the brain-body connection, check out Jonah Lehrer's blog for an entry he calls "The Poetry of Decapitated Dogs." In our show "Where Am I?" we heard all sorts of stories about when the brain and body connection gets screwy... but we never thought to take it quite this far.

Take a peek on Jonah's blog and let us know what you think. Trick photography? Or just video evidence of how science worked long before review boards had to approve experiments?

I like Radiolab, i think their choice of topics is always interesting and they often pursue them thoroughly. But I have to agree that the sound effects are ridiculous and the editing is too fast and mixed up. I always want more context from the interviewees. And please stop interviewing Jonah Lehrer. He is irritating and not a scientist. Take the time to find a real expert!

Apr. 24 2009 04:04 PM
Chris

(I'm not sure why all the above comments discuss Radiolab in general. Mine refers to this particular blog post "Woof, WHERE Am I?")

I just wanted to make sure people were aware that the claims made by this video about reanimating dog heads are, at best, scientifically dubious. Although Dr. Bryukhonenko was a real person who performed ground-breaking experiments, the film (at least the head part) is almost certainly faked, perhaps as Soviet propaganda.

Mar. 26 2008 06:19 PM
Mary

I am shocked at all of the negative reports on Radiolab. I feel that it is the best show on radio, informative and entertaining.

Mar. 23 2008 08:03 AM
brian

I completely disagree with earlier posters. I listen to RadioLab because of the great storytelling and compelling sound editing.

Mar. 22 2008 10:53 PM
Teresa

Wow, all these negative comments!

Personally, I think Radiolab is a fascinating program and I always find the material engrossing. The editing does not detract from my personal listening experience, nor do I think it's done out of some kind of pathetic attempt at hipness. I can see how other users may find it distracting or a nuisance, but I hope they don't change the format in future episodes just because of that.

And for anyone who really dislikes it that much - remember it's only a limited run series! Calm down!

Mar. 21 2008 06:14 PM
Jason

En mi opinion, most talk radio is a total snooze compared to Radiolab, but i guess it's not for everyone. I'm also a fan of The Books, so that might help.

Mar. 21 2008 03:24 PM
Bulent Ozcan

I have to agree with all the commenters that they really do a good job choping up the program that you can't understand what is being said. Also, consider that many people think the same but don't comment on this website.

Mar. 21 2008 08:48 AM
Bob Pollack

I'm pleased to see there are others who find the sound gimmicks, the colliding and overlapping voices and all the other intrusive noises as annoying and distracting as I do. I wonder if the producers have ever surveyed their audience to see if ANYONE finds it the least bit interesting. The shame of it is that the story content is usually quite engaging, yet I typically find myself fast forwarding on my iPOD every time I hear extraneous the noises and other gimmicks. Perhaps if enough negative comments are posted, the producers will get the message and quit their sophomoric attempts at being clever.

Mar. 21 2008 07:59 AM
Connor Walsh

I am truly amazed – I never thought anyone could dislike Radio Lab, it's the best show on the radio!

Mar. 21 2008 03:37 AM
Brandon

Radio Lab is doing a great job despite what a few may believe. It does beg the question of why are some people not satisfied with a King's ransom?

Mar. 20 2008 10:42 PM
Shawn Gorman

Please stop making and broadcasting the obnoxious and unlistenable Radio Lab. I am forced to turn off WNYC whenever it comes on. No normal person can avoid feeling their intelligence is insulted by the way the Radio Lab uses stupid sound effects to drag out what should be brief shows into incredibly tedious, self-satisfied, intellectual dim exercises in self-satisfied fatuousness. Listeners of WNYC are not idiots, and do not appreciate being fed this bilge.

Mar. 20 2008 02:31 PM
marc parrilli

people, not "pople". sorry!

Mar. 20 2008 02:23 PM
marc parrilli

Boo, boo and more boos to Radiolab. I can barely stand listening to your ridiculous quick-cutting, background noise splices and the childish approach that is insulting to pople of intelligence. Why do you have to follow an approach that is more like kids in a treehouse discussing whatever rather than scientists talking in lay terms? And WNYC does this at the expense of Terry Gross' program. I usually turn you off in spite of wanting to listen and learn.

Mar. 20 2008 02:21 PM