A Text to Build a Dream On?

Friday, June 13, 2008 - 10:00 AM

A great article in the Toronto Star explored a possible new frontier in sleep disorders…sleep texting. The article notes that claims of sleep texting are popping up on blogs and message boards.

It seems that two possibilities exist here: 1) some people are actually able to text while sleeping (as some people sleep walk), and 2) sleep texters may actually be awake while texting, but experiencing a kind of sleep amnesia. Apparently, if you’re awake for less than 3 minutes, your brain doesn’t create new memories of that experience. This leads me to wonder how many things I might be able to accomplish in under three minutes in the wee hours of the night. And it inspires me to keep my cellphone out of reach when I nod off.

Have you ever sent a sleep text? Did you really, or were you just embarrassed about sending a late-night message?

M Tavarez

I used to have a girlfriend that was very text-message friendly and would text me at all hours of the night, sometimes waking me up. I would reply back but I would text things I wouldn't normally say to her.

I think it happends more often when people are stressed.

Jun. 25 2008 10:51 PM
Laura

My sister recently texted a friend at 2.30 a.m. on a Saturday and asked them if they were still at school. She is a notorious sleepwalker, though, so it's not really a surprise. Needless to say, her friend was quite confused.

Jun. 25 2008 10:31 PM
Oz

I have replied to text messages late night in my sleep. The replies, usually have raised an eyebrow for being really forward and frank, things I would have not said otherwise. I only found out my reading the confusing replies in the morning, only to connect the dots and realize I had sent a text message I didn't remember sending in the first place.

And just like the 3rd comment, i've started a message, only to wake up with a half finished unsent text message on my phone that made absolutely no sense.

Jun. 23 2008 11:21 PM
esai

I've never sent a sleep-text... but I've written myself notes in my sleep, taken a shower in my sleep, and even driven a car in my sleep, so i believe anything is possible.

Jun. 20 2008 02:51 AM
G

I've sleep texted also, it was odd because, A) I don't remember typing it, and B) it started off as an actual sentence then just random letters

Jun. 15 2008 04:48 PM
Mike

I live 8 hours (time change) from my girlfriend. I sleep text and talk all the time. I also check my emails in the middle of the night on my ipod... when I wake up I have no clue what i have read.

Jun. 15 2008 10:11 AM
Adam Van Meter

Articles like this pop up so frequently, about so many things - sleep eating, sleep shopping, sleep texting now - I wish someone would find a way to help with things like sleep working, or sleep essay writing, or sleep driving. I didn't have much success when I tried those.

I can safely say I have never sent text messages in my sleep, but I have definitely sent emails which I did not remember the next morning. Close, but not quite?

Jun. 14 2008 07:01 PM