Chris And Lisa

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 - 01:27 AM

Couple on a bench Couple on a bench (nurpax/flickr/CC-BY-2.0)

Chris had a crush on Lisa. But how to woo her?

He met her on a park bench in Chicago, handed her a stack of CD's, and sent her off on an extremely specific mission. Did it work? Find out on this week's podcast.

And hey! Chicago peeps, get your tix to our LIVE EVENT

rebecca

love radiolab. no problem with this at all. do you get mad at TV because there are ads that you can't control?

Apr. 10 2009 05:56 PM
CP

I have to agree with the above negative comments. Though I am a HUGE fan of the show, stop tooting your own horn. I found this episode self-congratulating and a waste of my time. I turned it off half way through. Just stick to the topics and let them speak for themselves. I find the shows getting more and more about the hosts than the stories.

Oct. 29 2008 03:09 AM
Alan

I also freebased Radiolab when I first discovered the rich vein of podcasts. And as the Radiolab junkie I have become, I eagerly await the new season. Honestly, who isn't dying to hear the episode on sperm?!

I liked it, especially when you consider what fund drives usually are.

Radiolab is the Alpha and Omega, at least in Chris and Lisa's relationship.

Oct. 28 2008 08:20 PM
Dan C

Like the show, but sometimes it's pompous. I would love to help out.

You guys should make some RadioLab Merchandise. I would definitely buy a cool T-shirt for my friends and myself!
Good luck with season 5.

Dan
Australian listener.

Oct. 28 2008 07:44 AM
Keegan

i LOVE your show I've been listening ever since I heard you on my local NPR station and had to find the podcast in order to hear parts of the show I had missed. This episode fulfilled it's purpose for me! I just pledged $60. You are the only show I listen to from WNYC as I am in Fort Lauderdale FL. Keep it up!!

in response to Aaron.. its a radio show but many of us only listen to the podcasts.. i listen to it at the gym, in my car, or yes sometimes at home with the lights out right before going to bed.

Oct. 27 2008 11:36 AM
Aaron

I like Radiolab, but come on, it's a radio show. The whole bit about going home, turning off your cell phone, and giving yourself over to it to "expand your soul" was completely obnoxious. I had to turn it off. If this is the drivel your going to put on in between the seasons please DON'T. It makes me never want to listen again out of self respect.

Oct. 26 2008 07:49 PM
James

The first Radiolab episode I heard was the "War of the Worlds" episode, which is not what I would call a typical episode. I only heard part of it while I was driving through the mountains of Colorado, and I came in late to the episode, and as I drove farther, the signal got weaker and weaker. I had to pull of the road to stay within range of the signal. I didn't know what the show was called, I had no idea the show was "about science," I just knew that this piece of work as amazing, and I had to hear the entire thing.

I finally figured out that the show was called Radiolab, and found the website. The show didn't hit the podcast for weeks, and I kept checking back to see if it was up. After I downloaded the show, I must have listened to it three times in that first week, and many more since. It never gets old, and I still get choked up when I hear parts of it, or creeped out in certain places. I have played that episode for a few people, and they enjoy it, but not nearly as much as I do.

What that says, of course, is something about me, as much as it says about the show. I don't know how many people found this episode as amazing as I did, but it hooked me as a devoted listener, more so than any other NPR program. I wish I could make it to the broadcast in Chicago, but I can not.

Thanks for the great work.

James
Denver, CO

Oct. 25 2008 04:55 PM
Audita Sum

The first Radio Lab I ever listened to was the time episode. I listened to it one morning before school-- the part about the guy who was trying to live in another century-- and I remember being astounded by how beautiful it was. Not only is the content of the podcast really interesting, but it's well-put-together audio-wise. Really magical.

Oct. 25 2008 12:25 PM
Meredith

Recession be damned, Radiolab can have a chunk of my paycheck any day.

I discovered Radiolab about four weeks ago, and I don't think I've listened to any actual music on my ipod since. I get to work and sit in the car in the parking lot for a few more minutes, even though I'm running late, because I'm too enthralled in the show. On rainy evenings I sit in my hammock chair on the porch with headphones and drink this show in.

Radiolab has never gotten me laid though. I'll have to work on that.

Oct. 24 2008 11:19 PM
Sandra

I think it's important to remember the point of this episode: to tell people about Radiolab who have never heard of it in the hopes to raise money so they can continue making the shows we love. It is supposed to sound like an advertisement. This podcast is FREE and NPR is desperate for money. So I see nothing wrong with a segment that tries to reach a new audience through the story of a singular experience, incorporating tidbits of the show throughout. That's why it's called a fundraiser. Keep up the great work, Radiolab. Can't wait for the new season!

Oct. 24 2008 07:06 PM
Jamie BK

this episode was GARBAGE! a stupid, boring waste of time. a 20 minute advertisement where the hosts stroke their own egos. a punishment for eveyone who subscribes to the podcast. embarassing!

Oct. 24 2008 11:17 AM
Jody

That is a WONDERFUL idea! I'm gonna try it.

Oct. 24 2008 10:22 AM
Stewf

I don't mind a final self-congratulatory story to help raise funds for WNYC. Beauty of a podcast, Sarah: you can skip this installment if you don't like it. Remember, the season hasn't started yet.

Question for Jad: what's the flutey music that plays after Chris tells his side of the story? I'd love to hear more.

Oct. 23 2008 01:49 AM
sarah smith

love the show, guys. but I'm getting very sick of these self-congratulating podcasts. this chris-lisa podcast was over the top to the point where I stopped what I was doing and came here to leave a comment. even though it is a true story, it is very unbecoming for you to indulge in broadcasting it. totally boring and makes me like you less.

please just do what you do best and actually make the show?

not trying to be a jerk, I'm actually a huge fan.

Oct. 22 2008 05:35 PM
Matt

I absolutely relate to this story. I recently introduced my girlfriend to RadioLab. We sat and listened to Memory and Forgetting together and then had a long talk about it. RadioLab most certainly does bring people together. Now get to that new season!

Oct. 22 2008 01:52 PM
Parag

I didn't like this story at all. There was too much repetition and it bored me. I am big fan of Radio lab and didn't expect this kind of stuff from you guys. Looking forward to the new season.

Oct. 22 2008 11:36 AM
Connor

Amy you got it spot on!

Twice this month people have said to me "How do you KNOW these things?" when I've recounted tales from Radio Lab :)

Oct. 22 2008 06:17 AM
Amy

I feel as though I use Radiolab as a pickup line at least once a week, but mainly to pick up friends. I am a fool! It is as though I equate my own intelligence, creativity, and understanding of the world with Radiolab. I tend to feel a certain ownership of the show and by introducing it to people I am introducing those people to the real me and all the subtleties of my mind. I constantly crave more Radiolab and I am full of mixed emotions as I watch the newbies obsessively listen...how exciting it is that they love it and how sad it is that I am not the creator and that I can't experience it for the first time again. These podcasts are great for satisfying the need for more! Radiolab and tedtalks are good for the soul... errr I mean whatever is the driving force behind humans.

Thank you for all the amazing work you do!

Oct. 22 2008 12:10 AM

@14:08 It's worth trying again.

Oct. 21 2008 12:37 PM
Will Rogers

I've met both Chris and Lisa...this photo looks nothing like them.

Oct. 21 2008 09:30 AM
Ken L

Wow what a great story. I'm glad I'm not alone in being totally in love with this show! Lisa sounds profoundly wonderful by the way.

Oct. 21 2008 03:58 AM