The End of the Year Radiolab Wrap Up

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 - 12:14 PM

It was an action packed year in the Lab. With the release of Seasons 4 and 5, plus podcasts, our small staff of elves was busy in the workshop...but not too busy to take notice of all of the amazing things happening in the world. We thought we'd bring you a few of our favorites.

1. THE BEST EVIDENCE THAT GOD DOES NOT EXIST

Jad would like to point to The Existence of Parasitic Wasps, as it really raises the question, 'How could a god let this kind of evil exist in the world?'

Dave the Juggler

When I visited this page when it was first posted, the monkey story was there, and now it's gone... yet the moth website is still up. Was this site sending too much traffic?

9. Best reason for me to contribute to Public Radio...

I'm a street performer, and after I finish a show, of course I ask people to put money in the hat if they liked the show. I suddenly realized that public radio is just like street performance! How could I have been really enjoying your show and not put any money in your hat? Shame on me.

Jan. 07 2009 10:30 PM
Mercedes

I remember loving this story when I first heard it on This American Life, but somehow I totally missed that it was Robert -- it's sooo much better now! I love recognizing Jad and Robert's voices on other programs!

Jan. 02 2009 06:10 PM
ninjaclectic

i just finished listening to the monkey story. really good stuff. is the story of the guy seeing unconsciously on your radar? npr had an article up this week.

I think radio lab should do an episode on the science of myth (a la Joseph Campbell). There would be a lot of room to play with religious themes as well as evolutionary themes.

I think the idea of these ancient processors might fit w/ some of Campbell's ideas of myth.

Dec. 25 2008 02:40 PM
peder

juana molina indeed! i am currently working my way through your backlog on itunes (~2 episodes per day...) and loving it! keep it up, please!

Dec. 25 2008 11:01 AM
Patrick McComb

My nominee is...
#10 BEST RADIOLAB STORY:

The spectacularly ill-advised radio performance of "War of the Worlds" in Quito Ecuador.

Dec. 25 2008 10:02 AM
Marcelo Castro

Ok Ok this is not my best of 2008, but why Jad do you insist on talking about 'God's acts' or the 'natural functioning of life' (take your pick) in such simple categories as good or bad.

If I look at a human body from a certain distance, it's beautiful. But if I get really close it's all blood and guts and s**t etc -

I don't believe in the fantasy of God myself. But there is clearly beauty, grace etc - just not as we (the little ants that we are) know it to be, based on our very simple and mostly childish understanding.

It's that very thinking that created 'God' to begin with.

It's not that we can't understand it. But the more we try to understand it with our brains (as much fun as it is to try), we have to admit that since our brains are contained within the picture, then it's technically impossible to see it.

Dec. 25 2008 08:24 AM