Radiolab needs your help.

Monday, June 01, 2009 - 11:40 PM

Hey everyone, Jad here. Times have been tough lately, for everyone, and public radio is no exception. I wonder if you could shake out the couch cushions and then make a pledge of support of… $10? $20? $75? Anything would help. If you like the show, help support us so that we can make more. Make a gift right now by clicking HERE.

Jon

I would purchase a t-shirt in a heartbeat. The show is absolutely amazing.

Aug. 09 2009 04:14 AM
Chantal

Wonderful show, and like many others: Please make T-shirts!!!!, it would a revenue generator as well as easy publicity, I think anyone here would be very happy to explain if asked "what does your t-shirt means?"

Jul. 24 2009 10:28 AM
Chris

I'll buy a shirt if it says "awesome" on it.

Jun. 15 2009 01:00 PM
Aaron

This might be a little out-of-scope, but I live in Michigan and haven't heard Radiolab in a couple of years. It was replaced on our public radio station with a Canadian comedy show from CBC...

I'm ecstatic to see that I can get a podcast, but is there anything I can do to goad Michigan Radio into considering putting you back on the air? Maybe I could make a T-shirt that says "Don't outsource public radio jobs to Canada! Listen American!"

Jun. 13 2009 03:19 PM
Jason Abbadon

I'll be dontating- Radiolab is my favorite program and I want new episodes.

Despite the large amount WNYC's president might make, take into consideration that many such positions are based on how much a particular person can themselves raise in donations.
as example, you'd be amazed at what the United way's president makes, but he brings in far more by way of connections and donations.
Also, president on a radio station in New York is going to pay pretty well, so dont let that be your reason not to donate.

Though I DO wish I could donate directly to the show, so I know it's not going to buy Krulwich's donut stipend or whatever.

So, I'm donating: Jad, you can credit it all to ME- right after that "Alfred P. Sloan" person...in fact, just leave those other sponsors out of it.

Jun. 13 2009 12:52 AM
Layla

Yes, please make t-shirts!

Jun. 10 2009 12:00 AM
Jim

I live in Ohio and I absolutely love the work of “On The Media” and “Radio Lab” so I was going to donate specifically to WNYC in addition to my local station WKSU. That was until I heard about WNYC President Laura Walker's $500K/year salary. What!? How does she justify laying people off of shows when you pay on person half a million dollars a year to manage a public radio station with 95 people? Seriously!?

How dare she make you beg the public for more money when she's taking so much of the money donated. I’ve been a volunteer for public radio stations for decades now and she has the nerve to think she deserves such a salary. What a monumental disappointment.

Sincerely,
Jim Wilson

Jun. 08 2009 10:27 PM
akemi

I love Jad and Robert so can you make donation easier? Paypal instead of my credit card number, pleeze.

Jun. 07 2009 12:09 PM
A Fan

First, I agree that a Radiolab t-shirt would be *awesome* (heheheh).

I would love to donate, but I am unfortunately too young to be spending my money on such things.

Lastly I have a question to ask that will probably be answered in some obscure way: When's Season 6 starting up? I can't wait!

Jun. 06 2009 11:23 PM
Chris F.

I second the t-shirt comment.

Jun. 05 2009 09:14 AM
PC

if y'all would make a damn t-shirt, i'd buy it.

Jun. 04 2009 07:31 PM
Dan

The wife and I just donated $120. I wish it could have been more, but hey we're grad students. I just wanted to say that Radiolab is the best thing I've ever heard on the radio.

Jun. 04 2009 10:28 AM
AC

Thanks, Radiolab, for the quick response. I've done both of the things you suggested.

Jun. 03 2009 09:37 AM
JR

yeah, man, sure - sent some funds your way. keep up the good work!

Jun. 02 2009 09:00 PM

AC, Eric, all of you-
thanks for weighing on this. Though Laura’s salary is not so much our domain, we DO encourage you to make your thoughts known. A couple of options. You can send feedback to WNYC’s Listener Services at listenerservices@wnyc.org. You can also get in touch with WNYC’s Community Advisory Board, a group of listeners like you who gather public comments and advise the station on programming and policy decisions. They make their recommendations directly to the Board of Trustees (who sets Laura’s salary). You can get in touch with them here http://www.wnyc.org/about/cab/feedback/form

Jun. 02 2009 04:58 PM
Eric G.

I don't presume to know how to manage the finances of a major media outlet. I do know that I love the content that comes from WNYC, especially Radio Lab, and that's why I support it.

It's easy to assign blame, but the fact remains that we can't all enjoy this content without some of us supporting Jad & Robert.

Jun. 02 2009 04:37 PM
AC

"The president of WNYC, Laura Walker, was paid $508,520 last year. Go ask HER for some more money."

I'd like to hear the folks at Radiolab comment on this. I signed up to donate $120/year, and I'd like to see my money more wisely spent.

Jun. 02 2009 01:32 PM
No thanks

Jun. 02 2009 12:51 PM
Christian

Done! And proudly so. I also twittered it. Get out the word people.

Jun. 02 2009 06:44 AM