Stochasticity Bonus Video!

Monday, June 15, 2009 - 08:00 PM

We have a special bonus this week to accompany our Stochasticity episode. We asked our friends, Higher Mammals to produce a song and video for our Stochasticity show. We hope you find it completely Random!

Higher Mammals features Josh Kurz and Shane Winter, with additional vocals from Jason Major, Kendra May, and Wendy Roderweiss.

DGrant from Peoria, IL

I've really enjoyed the RadioLab podcasts and this video was pretty good too. However, I thought it would be the theme that I heard in the episode to the tune of School House Rock "Electricity". Oh well, thanks for making radio interesting. :-)

Jul. 06 2012 07:06 PM
you know who_now don't ask

Ah! Can't get the song out of my head! Will go listen to your related podcast now lol.

Aug. 22 2009 11:13 AM
Eric Mast

I love the radio podcast, didn't like the video at all.

Aug. 06 2009 02:45 AM
Amanda

This is really great news!

Jul. 10 2009 03:34 AM
Chris

*Sorry for the double-post*
((This is the 2nd part of my 1st post))
Happy to see your guys' brains are still working! (While most of America has been drugged by TV...)

P.S. It's hard to remember faces, but I was at the "Sometimes behaves so strangely" show in Ohio. It was an hour or 2 to get there, just saying "Hi".
I still have a picture of me with Jad. =D

If it helps I'm only 14ish... But this program excells at superb intellegence, and the main thing that makes RL work is the way you guys' feed us the info. It's not like school where we get info fed through tubes into our brains.

Keep up the good work!
-Chris

(>^.^)>

Jul. 08 2009 04:59 PM
Chris

Thank you RadioLab!
I'm happy I've been a faithful member (Not yet old enough to donate) but nonetheless I must say that nothing on(in?)the internet tops you guys. ^^
This vid is also something I would expect from RL, it's funny, playful, worth watching, and I've learned a new word!

Happy to see your guys' brains are still working!

Jul. 08 2009 04:53 PM
Isaac

Can we get a version that is just MP3?

Jul. 01 2009 11:29 AM
ToddinHB

I love this show and the video is great!

Jun. 29 2009 07:54 PM
Aaron

Heheh... I still don't agree that this is pointless. Stuart, if you've ever been to Reagan.com, you'd know what true empty-headedness is.

To make a point, when you get a show about randomness, you should expect some random things to come along with it. Maybe I'm just blindly following R.L., but I fully support giving us this video.

Also, you might note that this is a *Bonus* video. Being a bonus, it implies being a just a little extra; sort of an afterthought. Nothing to get too shaken up about.

Jun. 24 2009 07:51 PM
Alexander

I have to agree with Stuart on this one. That song and video is beyond irrelevant, it is actually pretty obnoxious.

Jun. 24 2009 01:48 PM
Stuart

Sorry to say, this Higher Mammals video is the most vapid, empty-headed thing I've ever witnessed on my computer screen. That the Radio Lab feed served as the Trojan horse to get it to me does not bode well.

Jun. 24 2009 12:01 AM

lol "sto" is russian and czech (and maybe a few other slavic languages) for "100"

Jun. 23 2009 10:19 PM
Sargun Dhillon

Todd, proprietary codecs are available on Linux (for money). I, on the other hand choose to disregard the law's limitations on this.

Jun. 22 2009 07:45 PM
Paul

I can't get this song out of my head.

Jun. 21 2009 08:17 PM
Aaron

@ David F.

Here's a quote from your post:

"I’m a really big fan of your program, appreciating especially the thoughtfulness, and precision, and playfulness that characterize every level of the show’s production."

The key word in there is "playfulness." One must admit that this video is pretty darn playful. I do agree that it might have been a little out-of-place, but this "internet vitriol" was certainly entertaining and helped me remember the word "stochasticity."

Jun. 20 2009 12:06 PM
Todd

Hey guys, how about not using proprietary formats in the podcasts? Those of us running Linux can't legally watch MP4s.

Jun. 18 2009 09:38 PM
074

did not synch with my iPod Touch. No wirries - I just unsubbed!

Jun. 18 2009 04:47 PM
Aaron

To all those with an iPod (touch...?) that doesn't work with this video:

I have an iPod Touch 2G and the video sync'd just fine and worked on my iPod. I just thought I'd throw that information out there.

Jun. 18 2009 03:09 PM
David F.

I'm a really big fan of your program, appreciating especially the thoughtfulness, and precision, and playfulness that characterize every level of the show's production.

Could someone explain to me the point of this video (beyond "it's random!")? Did I miss something? What I'm looking at is incoherent and abrasive. One man's opinion, I guess, but I'd be more willing to accept the unpleasantness if it were making a point - like the (superbly employed) choir singing "sometimes behave so strangely" in the musical language episode.

I try to stay away from internet vitriol, and I hope this doesn't come off that way. Mostly I'm disappointed and confused by this extra. It feels very unnatural for something so ugly and empty to be presented under the banner of this wonderful show.

Jun. 18 2009 01:51 AM
Cody

Nice! Great video. I thought the motion graphics & production was awesome! You guys are pro.

Jun. 17 2009 03:27 PM
Katy

Yeah, my iPod did not sync the video with the podcast either. But the show was great! Thanks

Jun. 17 2009 01:02 AM
adrian

i'll be damned! there actually is a new one! thanks guys :)

Jun. 16 2009 04:57 PM
adrian

how about a regular show instead of the random extra? i don't even know why i still subscribe to the podcast. i didn't hear a fresh show in ages :(

Jun. 16 2009 04:51 PM
melinda

Same as Kim- I have an ipod touch and Stochasticity wont sync with my ipod giving the reason that my ipod wont support it. How come- it's a new thing-and I can view the video on itunes and my mac but not the ipod touch.

Jun. 16 2009 04:32 PM
Radio Lab

Hey @Kim
I just checked iTunes for the video, and it seemed to be working fine. Can you try downloading it again and let us know (email to radiolab@wnyc.org) if you have problems.

Radio Lab team

Jun. 16 2009 11:48 AM
Kim

The Video through itunes did not work at all. I was only able to see it here on the website.

Jun. 16 2009 11:10 AM
Aaron

Great, I got this song stuck in my head... Now I have to go listen to the "Earworms" podcast. =) Anyway, the song was really top-notch and entertaining; a worthy bonus to an awesome show.

Jun. 16 2009 10:26 AM