Season Six: Launch Party

Friday, August 28, 2009 - 12:55 PM

The Lab at Night

THIS EVENT IS FULL – WE ARE NO LONGER TAKING RESERVATIONS

Hey folks! Radiolab and WNYC Radio have decided to throw a little party to celebrate the launch of our new season. After months of hard work, we want to let our hair down. We’re keeping it on the mellow side because space is tad limited, but we definitely want you there.

Hosts Robert Krulwich and Jad Abumrad will play a taste of the upcoming season. And guess what? They Might Be Giants will be there too. On the heels of winning a Grammy, they’re releasing a new album called 'Here Comes Science.' So they’ll play acoustically and have a quick chat with Jad and Robert about the fussy challenges of turning science into entertainment.

It’s all going to happen on the BEACH! (The Water Taxi Beach in Long Island City, Queens, NY). So mark off the evening of September 16th to enjoy a heaping helping of sand, stars, music, beer, and food.

How much does it cost, you ask? It's FREE! But you will need to make a reservation.

WHEN
Wednesday, September 16th, 2009, from 6 pm to 8 pm, followed by DJ music, beers, and beach-side merriment.

WHERE
Water Taxi Beach (Google Map)
2nd Street and Borden Avenue
Long Island City, NY 11101

Water Taxi Beach has concession stands for snacks and beer, so no outside food, but feel free to bring your beach towel, chaise lounge, volleyball, sand pail etc. And bring vaild ID (21 +). Minors are only allowed to come with their parents.

THIS EVENT IS FULL – WE ARE NO LONGER TAKING RESERVATIONS

hardwood

Great items from you, man. I've take note your stuff prior to and you're just too great.
I really like what you've bought here, certainly like what you're stating and the way in which through which you say it.

You make it enjoyable and you continue to take care
of to keep it smart. I cant wait to learn far more from you.
That is really a terrific website.

Mar. 07 2013 03:44 PM
Aaron

Oh, never mind. It's followed by "beach-side merriment." Well, when it's all done, I wanna know how it was.

Sep. 16 2009 08:11 PM
Aaron

According to my timezone calculations, this event just finished. How was it? Or are my calculations off?

Sep. 16 2009 08:09 PM
Eric

I have an extra ticket if somebody wants to meet me there to do the handoff. Such a shame to let an opportunity of the century like this go to waste!!
Let me know... emh2134 (at) columbia.edu

Sep. 16 2009 03:21 PM
Ingrid

I don't get off of work until 7:00, then I have a half hour drive. Why does it have to start so early? They know we're all workaholics!

Sep. 16 2009 08:28 AM
Rain Man

There's a tent there

Sep. 15 2009 09:44 PM
Evan Rose

Is there a contingency plan for rain?

Sep. 15 2009 07:09 PM
Ami

I replied +2 but will be out of town for work (tear, sniff)...soooo bummed I will miss it! JAD: have a great launch party!!! You'll just have to recreate it in your backyard for myself and Amil. :)

Sep. 15 2009 01:27 AM
Chuck

I'm with you John.

I'm gonna crash this.

Sep. 11 2009 03:47 PM
John

Well, I only live a couple blocks away from the Water Taxi Beac so I might as well show up. Maybe some people won't show. Or maybe the speakers will be loud enough for me to just cling to the rail fence separating me from the awesomeness.

Sep. 09 2009 02:57 PM
Dave Kliman

gee... i hope i can come... i really want to :-/

Sep. 08 2009 08:52 PM
Greg

Looks like the emails went out (again) today. Darn that internt abyss.

Sep. 04 2009 03:24 PM
Monique

but i wanna come! :(

Sep. 03 2009 12:22 AM
Pearl

PLEASE take a few more reservations!

Sep. 02 2009 10:06 PM
Want to Go

Has anyone received an email yet confirming their reservation? I want to go and am nervous we applied too late on Friday afternoon. If people have already been emailed, at least we can stop hoping. Thanks!

Sep. 02 2009 09:28 PM
Aaron

The most entertaining thing that any media can offer.... It is the only thing that comes close to satisfying my gluttonous curiosity while still leaving me asking the most important question..well...why? The very essence of being human being which leads to all of our advances. Posing the question why, regardless of how small or how big. JUST, WHY? Great show, keep it up. Il be there in spirit.

Sep. 01 2009 11:41 PM
Sai

Error right under the post title:

"Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/blogs.wnyc.org/wp-content/themes/newwnyc/single.php on line 29"

Sep. 01 2009 11:07 PM
Dean

Wow, how great to have TMBG there! I pre-ordered the new album a while back and can't wait to listen to it with my daughter. I hope you plan to have the chat and music up here for all of us who can't make it. Have fun!

Sep. 01 2009 04:38 PM
Greg

Hello! I also applied on Friday afternoon and haven't heard back. I'll hold out hope!

Sep. 01 2009 04:21 PM
ben

ughhh why didnt you send an email!

Sep. 01 2009 12:24 PM
Michelle Lipinski

NEW SEASON!! YES!! There's no way I'd be able to make it across the country from AZ (across from south to north and from west to east), but I'm no less exited about the new season. Yay!

Aug. 31 2009 10:09 PM
ilana

heya! i rsvp'ed the day this shindig was announced and didn't receive a confirmation email... have those been sent out yet, or should i just assume that mine didn't go through or some such?

Aug. 31 2009 12:05 PM
jesse

full already? i wouldn't be surprised... but if there are still spots pleaaase get the form back up online. student in chicago, working in dc, visiting nyc, and desperately trying to attend.

Aug. 31 2009 01:22 AM
Arman

Radiolab Rocks.
An Iranian student in UPENN, Philly.

Aug. 31 2009 12:02 AM
Radio Lab

Thanks for your interest folks. We've already reached the capacity for the event and will be sending out confirmations shortly !

Radio Lab team

Aug. 30 2009 10:30 PM
Kerstin

It´s too far from Cologne, Germany. Can we have a party here? Next year? No? Why not?
Have fun fun fun!

Aug. 30 2009 06:25 AM
Abi

We here in the Aleutians will go to Summer Bay and watch the same stars in the dark.

Thanks for all the programs and information. Listen regularly via the internet.

Have a grand time and do try and come out this way for a visit sometime - our Volcano activity is awesome. Okmok was impressive last July and Kasatochi astounding. Check out AVO.

Aug. 30 2009 01:43 AM
Sparticus

I got hit by a mink car.

Aug. 29 2009 06:10 PM
Julie C.

I'm really excited for this! I started listening to Radiolab about a year ago when I got my job and really appreciate what you guys do. Season Six is bound to be great!

Looking forward to shaking your hands Wednesday,
Julie

Aug. 29 2009 04:30 PM
Conor Sweetman

Can you change the venue to Dublin, Ireland? ;)

Aug. 29 2009 06:25 AM
kp

Too far away to attend. I'll just have to wait until the first episode of season six to air and have my own mini-launch party in my head.

Aug. 28 2009 04:38 PM
Aaron

Aww... that's a wonderful idea. Too bad I live so far away. Have fun, all you New Yorkers!

Aug. 28 2009 01:53 PM
MikeyLife

Please have a party in Portland OR - or anywhere on the west coast, for that matter. I would happily be there, as would MANY fans of the show. Congrats on a new season!

Aug. 28 2009 01:48 PM
Melisa S.

My birthday is the 20th! Perfect. Can't wait!

Aug. 28 2009 01:34 PM
Rick Weinberg

Gee, I wish I could be there. Congratulations on year 6. I seriously love your show.

Aug. 28 2009 01:33 PM
Stephen

Grr. Why must the party be so far away? Someone have a beer in my honor.

Aug. 28 2009 01:31 PM