The Ramen Challenge

Friday, October 23, 2009 - 08:08 PM

Hey everyone, Jad here. I know times are tough, but I wonder if you could help Radiolab out by staying in! Think of it as the Ramen Challenge: cue up an episode from our brand new batch of Season 6 Shows, fire up the tea kettle, and enjoy a tasty bowl of cheap noodles in our honor. Then, send the money you would have spent on dinner (or a movie, or a few drinks with your friends) along to us. Anything you can afford—$10, $25, maybe you can pitch in $75?—will help us make more Radiolab. Thanks so much to everyone who’s already pledged, and to everyone who plans to. We wouldn’t be here without you.

Chip in now by clicking HERE.

Red

Hi, it's four years in the future and now NPR is running a whole WEEK based on denigrating disabled people on Social Security. This is why NPR will forever be lucky to receive nothing from me. If your parent company is going to do that, why not step up and start bashing disabled veterans? We get WAY better benefits than those poor souls on SSDI.

Mar. 24 2013 05:23 PM
akemi

paypal, puhleez. i'm willing to give up food but not the credit card.

Jan. 05 2010 05:27 PM
Matthew C. Scallon

So, I either spend money on something delicious, nutritious, and inexpensive, or I send my money to a organization that produces shows which claim that killing a baby is good for the environment.

Hmmm. No contest there. Gotta go. The microwave is beeping.

Nov. 19 2009 02:28 PM
kevin Manson

i was wondering will there be an eps about atraction and why we like other humens etc?

Nov. 09 2009 07:16 PM
Jerome

Too bad that Jad doesn't answer in here ...

Nov. 03 2009 04:35 AM
Ian

Instant noodles are an environmental disaster -- think about the plastic, the amount of energy that goes into making each one, etc. They are in the same category as water in plastic bottles. Please, as someone else has already pointed out, cook some soba or pasta and have it with some fresh organic veggies instead.

Nov. 01 2009 04:06 PM
Ed

Hey Jad, big fan here.

PayPal option, please?

Thanks for the consistent excellence... RadioLab is the cat's pajamas.

Cheers!

Oct. 30 2009 12:24 PM
Jerome

And again: that pledge place is way to0 complicated and there's way too much unnecessary stuff on it. It looks confusing.

If you want to get donations there is one important rule: MAKE IT EASY.

Just give us a plain page with a textbox and PayPal button!!! ;)

I'd really like to support the show.

Oct. 30 2009 11:08 AM
Jerome

Are the RadioLab guys reading the comments here ... ?

Oct. 30 2009 11:05 AM
Brett Vaughn

I am an avid Radio Lab listener and also would like to donate directly to Radio Lab... The only disappointment I receive from the show is the lack of new episodes... and a +1, as the kids are saying, in regards to the willingness of being a proud wearer of a radio lab t-shirt...

Cheers and thanks for the fantastic work... it means the world to me.

Oct. 30 2009 12:51 AM
John

Were you aware the title of the sperm episode is censored in iTunes Store?

Oct. 29 2009 10:58 PM
Max

Not to mention there are some pretty textbook security problems on the donation page. At least it's https. But the "autocomplete" function isn't disabled for the credit card field, meaning someone could get on your computer and "autocomplete" your credit card in another form, and the credit card field isn't cleared if you have a validation error on the page, meaning someone could go back to the page if you left your browser open pretty easily. There's a reason Paypal and Checkout By Amazon exist...

Oct. 29 2009 10:29 PM
patrickg

Couldn't agree more. I'm international and would download, but the international credit card charges are expensive. Paypal would be faster and easier for me. Also I want to be able to be anonymous, I'm giving you guys my money, not the right to call/email/whatever me.

Oct. 29 2009 08:43 PM
TheGirlPie

More Agreement -- as a first time visitor to radiolab (from out of state) per Seth's mention, I clicked right through looking for the PayPal button -- bummer. Tip jar, anyone? I guess I could look up one of your email addresses and just send my $25 via paypal... even if I never get to listen (and I haven't yet) I'd like you to get the financial equivalent to a pat on the back, just for your efforts...

+1 for some way to make a direct donation to support Radiolab.
+1 for PayPal
+1 for donation page being really unclear on one-time-amount option

I’d also like to see something like semi-anonymous dontions to keep the fundraising machine at arm's-length.

Good luck with it ~ (off now to do my special ramen: drain off the water after the 3 minutes and toss in toasted sesame oil with chunks of chicken from the market roaster or a can of great tuna (yeah TJ's!)

Oct. 28 2009 06:27 PM
Theo Ephraim

In addition to allowing direct donations (via paypal), you should create a RadioLab t-shirt as a gift option. I know gifts aren't the point, but I bet more people would be willing to bump up their donation for one, as I don't think too many RadioLab listeners are going to donate extra for that Barbara Streisand cd... Keep up the great work guys!

Oct. 28 2009 01:06 PM
Eddie Lin

Great idea, Jad! A little perspective always helps. Man, I'm really craving some ramen now.

Oct. 28 2009 02:19 AM
Aaron

So I was browsing through the iTunes store last night, and I noticed something worth mentioning: You guys were #6 on the top podcasts list! That's not too small a feat. Congratulations!

With your high listener-ship(?), you should be able to get quite a bit of money in this fundraiser, thus giving plenty of money for even better future shows!

Good luck, and congratulations again!

Oct. 27 2009 10:16 PM
Suzie

If I can donate directly to RadioLab I will give you a kidney. I like Ramen, anyways.

Oct. 27 2009 10:03 PM
Isabel Saenz

great idea, loved it!

Oct. 27 2009 04:50 PM
Angie Sugrim

But of course I must donate to Radiolab. It's really the least I could do. If I'm spending $10 on 2 pints at the bar (and way more on cable tv), is it really a stretch to send it to Jad and Robert instead?

Oct. 27 2009 03:47 PM
elan'

If you read this comic book - http://comicsworthreading.com/2006/07/15/project-x-cup-noodle/ - trust me, you'll have a deeper respect for Ramen.

Oct. 27 2009 08:34 AM
LKS

Guys. Ramen?! You want me to eat Ramen to support you? sounds more like a threat. Fine I'll give you the money. But a box of pasta (3 for $1) with olive oil, salt and pepper and a handful of lose spinach would cost about the same and is better for you/us.

Cheers,

Mom

Oct. 26 2009 03:11 PM
JL

agree. don't live in NYC, don't listen to NPR, just LOVE radiolab.

Oct. 26 2009 03:09 PM
sharon moore

Are these "donations" tax deductible? Pay Pal would be a good idea.

Oct. 26 2009 12:30 AM
Me Too

+1 for some way to make a direct donation to support Radiolab.
I already paid my dues to support my local public radio station (not in NYC) plus kicked in twice over the last year to directly support This American Life's podcast. RadioLab, your listenership is nationwide, you need to set up your own podcast support and let us outside NYC just kick in whatever we can afford in this time of economic hardship.

Oct. 25 2009 10:41 PM
Layla

Do these donations go directly to RadioLab, or do they go to WNYC? If the latter, is there some way to donate directly to you guys? I have nothing against WNYC, but I would prefer that my entire donation go to supporting RadioLab.

I love the show. Hope it keeps running for a long time.

Oct. 25 2009 08:57 PM

+1 for PayPal
+1 for donation page being really unclear on one-time-amount option

I'd also like to see something like anonymous or semi-anonymous dontions - mostly to keep the fundraising machine at WNYC at arms length.

Oct. 24 2009 08:49 PM
Terrace Crawford

Just found your site through Seth Godin's blog. I'll enjoy perusing through your jank here.

--Terrace Crawford
www.terracecrawford.com
www.twitter.com/terracecrawford

Oct. 24 2009 05:52 PM
Aaron

I'd just like to point out that there IS a one-time payment option on that page. It's the second set of bullets with the numbers, and you can also choose your own dollar amount.

Also, this fundraiser is a pretty awesome idea. =)

Oct. 24 2009 12:24 PM
Peter Kropf

And how do I go about making a one time donation of some $ amount? All the options seem to be for monthly installments which is something that I cannot commit to right now. But I can make a single donation. Any reason that the web page is so restrictive and unclear?

Oct. 24 2009 11:04 AM
Jerome

You should add a PayPal option to your donations' page ... if you had one I'd have donated already!

Oct. 24 2009 10:52 AM