The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Friday, January 29, 2010 - 10:36 AM

Hey Folks, got some news: Jad will be hosting a book launch party for The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, by Rebecca Skloot. Rebecca's book tells the story of Henrietta Lacks' journey from anonymous tobacco farmer to eponymous cancer cell line, the "HeLa" cell - arguably, the most famous cell line in all of history. (In fact, it is such a good yarn that we got Rebecca to help us tell it in an upcoming Radiolab episode, so keep an eye out).

So, if you happen to be in New York City this coming Monday, come out, meet Jad, and hear Rebecca tell some of this crazy story. (Rumor has it there will be live HeLa cells, and perhaps some members of Henrietta Lacks' family, in attendance.)

When: Monday, February 1st, from 7-8pm.
Where: McNally Jackson Books, 52 Prince St, New York, NY.

Laine

How may I download the show where Henrietta Lacks and Hela cells were discussed. It was moving and something that I think should be shared.

Apr. 25 2010 03:38 PM
Jane

I'm really sorry to have missed this. Please do it again soon! :)

Feb. 06 2010 01:35 AM
Ivan

I've recently worked my first time with HeLa cells in the lab. They surely have an astounding history!

Feb. 02 2010 06:58 PM
Aaron

Yeah. Go back to the Fitz in St. Paul again. No, no. Make that a tour across the whole country! That'd be awesome. You could sell tee-shirts an' everything! Find another good live show topic.

And about the weather... You'd best wait for spring in Minnesota, too. Negative 10 degrees for a week straight gets a little old.

Feb. 01 2010 12:01 AM
Casey

Man... I love San Francisco, but gee I wish I lived in NYC sometimes. When are you guys coming out to the West Coast? You have inspired me to make some radio myself, and I will be forever grateful to my two muses. I'm having a blast in the process.
New York is great, but don't discriminate! Come on out to San Francisco; please wait until Spring though, it's right around the corner and the weather is worth the wait.

Jan. 30 2010 12:59 AM
Jacq

7:00pm
Really looking forward to this event and reading the book !!

Jan. 29 2010 11:34 AM