Gotta Love the Onion

Friday, April 16, 2010 - 06:02 PM

We stumbled across this little gem from the Onion News Network and thought we'd share.
It kind of seemed like a weird collision between our Animal Minds episode and our Mortality episode.
Anyway, enjoy!

Steven D.

First Reaction: HAHAHA This is absolutely hilarious!
Second Thought: Oh man....Am I evil? I know it's a joke, but teaching a gorilla of its own mortality must be the cruelest thing humans as a species can do....

*Sniffs* I hope this never happens in real life...

Sep. 23 2012 11:30 PM
NC from Michigan

Not funny!

Apr. 30 2011 09:48 PM
Andrew from Oakland, CA

haha @ margo.....my brother sent me an article (something about GW Bush drilling caribou for oil LOL) from the Onion not realizing its fake news....he was quite distraught

Sep. 09 2010 08:22 PM
Justin

Have to disagree with most people here. Whilst I acknowledge it is clever, and the notion is obviously far fetched, I don't think it is particularly funny and the entertainment value is poor at best. I guess we are all lucky that we can choose to do something else in our life other than watch something like this.

Jul. 22 2010 05:28 PM
MacKenzie

It didn't even occur to me that Margo was being serious until I read the reactions to her...

I think bunnies are well aware of their own mortality. It's why they multiply so rapidly.

May. 27 2010 07:46 PM
Katie

My favorite part was telling the bunnies they will die.

May. 09 2010 11:14 AM
Lindsey

Maybe Margo is way above our heads and really funny? Maybe she's on staff with the Onion and perpetuatng her own fake news story....

May. 09 2010 12:46 AM
Gina

That first comment is precious...Reminds me of the reaction to Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal". But I agree with Jeff: as obviously fake as The Onion is, it is always mocking reality.

May. 08 2010 11:47 PM
Vanya222

Aw. . . Poor bunnies LOL

May. 07 2010 08:01 PM
Vanya222

LOL! Those bunnies were hilarious!

We have rabbits ourselves. They are ADORABLE. And also, the mouse thing was really funny.

Apr. 26 2010 09:53 AM
claudia

This was great, it reminded me of a spoof on the Great Ape Project as well. Made me laugh out loud.

Apr. 22 2010 06:48 AM
jeff gockel

I don't know for certain but it seems obvious to me that someone at the onion is a fan of radiolab, heard those stories and then just took the story to it's logical conclusion. Which is absurd, hilarious, and will eventually turn into an art imitating life, imitating art, back to real life. I predict a research project that will eventually make us think, "The onion did this as a joke but they are doing it for real." Some scandinavian university is on it right now.

Apr. 21 2010 10:44 AM
wildzebra485

Wow, for a moment I forgot that the Onion is a fake news source. lol. This was pretty funny.

Apr. 20 2010 10:38 AM

that brightened up my day :) poor bunnies . . .

Apr. 20 2010 09:49 AM
John Grimes

Oh, yeah - and anybody who knows Robert Krolwich know that he has a wicked since of humor and will put go for the jugular or gullibility whenever he sees the chance - and the Onion did a marvelous job of setting this up for Robert. Rock on Bob. (sorry if I spelled your name wrong - fraid to loose this page by going back to check.)

Apr. 18 2010 10:04 PM
John Grimes

I suppose the woman who was so gullible as to believe that this really happened is almost more remarkable than if they really did teach a Gorilla to fear death. Maybe she needs a serious attitude adjustment to interpret things a little less morbidly and negatively.

Apr. 18 2010 10:01 PM
Dianna

That was awesome!!!! THanks for posting!

Apr. 18 2010 09:42 AM
Susan

Forget the gorilla's name; if you get to the final shot of the scientists talking to the wide-eyed bunnies and you haven't figured out that this is a joke, you're really not paying attention.

The Onion at its finest!

Apr. 17 2010 04:00 AM
Oliver

Even if you've never heard of the Onion, you should know nobody would name a Gorilla "Quigley."

Apr. 17 2010 12:55 AM
Laura

Yup - don't worry, Margo. It's just a joke news report. In real life, nobody taught Quigley to dread his own death. That experiment would indeed have been cruel in its own special way.

But who knows - maybe other species understand death better than we do anyway. As a general group, we humans seem pretty sticky on the concept.

Apr. 16 2010 10:46 PM
Dan

I thought they made it pretty obvious that it was a fake report (try googling "the Onion".

Apr. 16 2010 08:11 PM
margo

What you are doing is soooo cruel to "Quigley!?"
What is your purpose in troubling this beautiful animal and it's natural way of LIFE that it is intended to live out?
Don't you have a more POSITIVE experiment!
My child will die one day and so will I and you and everyone .... but we let that reality come to us in a natural state not one that is TAUGHT OVER AND OVER for our own GAINS!!!!!!
I think it is a shameful way to USE any animal!!!!!

PLEASE HELP ME UNDERSTAND WHY YOU WOULD BE JOYFUL when "QUIGLEY" is clearly in distress!!!!

Lana and Phillip I use patterns to teach children in a special needs school -- why would I teach them "YOU DIE?" "WE DID IT!!!!!!!!" WHY?????????????????

Apr. 16 2010 07:50 PM