Robert talks again

Saturday, April 17, 2010 - 02:44 PM

Hey, it's Robert again. This is my month for yakking. This one is for you Connecticutters (and especially New Havenites, Yalies, Townies or Northhaven, Southhaven and Easthaveners ). If you are within traveling distance of Yale University next Tuesday at 4:30 pm, I'm giving a talk. I’m calling it "Saddam Hussein's Secret Octopus and Other Tales of Science" and it's about the politics of choosing/framing/designing/narrating/getting science stories on radio and TV.

For some unaccountable reason, TV news executives don't wake up every morning itching to tell stories about physics or chemistry. It's the most curious thing ... you'd think, like the rest of us, upon opening their eyes they'd exclaim: "Another chance to talk about quarks!" But no, they roll over and dream about Iraq, Afghanistan, Jennifer Aniston and the weather. So how's a science guy make a living at CBS, ABC, ESPN? (I've been at all three). And how did Jad and I invent our way into Radiolab? I plan to spill the beans.

Oh, and I should mention … it's free. It's at the Whitney Humanities Center Auditorium, 53 Wall Street in New Haven, on Tuesday, April 20th at 4:30pm.

Nick

Gimmicky, Joe?

It is sound design and it is a great way to make an audio narrative come to life in the mind of the listener. It also helps make some topics more interesting and accessible to those who would not otherwise listen to science stories.

It is too bad that you don't enjoy the show but lots of us fans wouldn't have it any other way. I guess you'll have to stick with Science Friday.

May. 28 2010 12:26 PM
Hana

I echo all of the requests to post this talk. I'm very curious about what goes on behind the scenes in terms of mounting a production like yours. I hope to be a part of making something similar happen in Canada!

May. 18 2010 01:30 AM
Sherry

Please consider a repeat performance in Princeton NJ. I'm hoping my May 4th email('broken hippocampus') made it to your radiolab inbox. Would love to hear from you.

May. 10 2010 04:16 PM
joe

the gimicky nature of your production makes it really difficult to listen too
intolerable in fact
its unfortunate as your material is really first rate
but sadly i have to turn you off

May. 07 2010 03:05 PM
Cynthia Egan

Dear Robert Krulwich,

You're so qualified to take part in science! I am so excited for you! That one episode where you basically blew off Brian Greene (you know, that pesky physics PhD guy, grrr him!) was so awesome! What a Dork! I wish you were running Fermiwhatever! Or the LHCWhatsit! Then we could get some real answers instead of dumb stupid answers from ugly people! Gosh!

Love you!
-Cynthia-

May. 07 2010 06:16 AM
Doug

growing up in connecticut we always called ourselves nutmeggers. also we like to eat grinders and in high school we tried to look 18 in the package store.

hope the talk went well and you eat at pepe's, not sally's.

May. 05 2010 07:47 PM
Vanya222

Any chance you'll record it? I don't live in Connecticut and I can't travel there (I'm 11!!!!!)

Apr. 26 2010 09:46 AM
Skipper

Whoops, sorry, wrong topic for that link (meant to comment on Robert's earlier 92nd Y discussion).

Apr. 23 2010 07:23 PM
Skipper

So, any chance we'll hear the audio for this discussion any time soon? I'm itching to hear it!

Carolyn Porco's TED talk on the Saturn Cassini findings (especially the part about the water spouts on the moon Enceladus) makes it hard to think life isn't probable elsewhere. http://www.ted.com/talks/carolyn_porco_flies_us_to_saturn.html (I dare you not to drop your jaw)

Apr. 23 2010 07:12 PM
Stace Maples

Fantastic talk! Might you post, or link to, the "Saddam's Octopus" video? You're right... It was amazing!

Apr. 20 2010 06:40 PM
Holly

Please come to NYC this summer.

Apr. 20 2010 03:50 PM
Amanda

Oh dear. I don't think I can make it to Connecticut today. Break a leg, Mr. Krulwich! If it becomes available on the internet, I will most certainly listen.

Apr. 20 2010 10:32 AM
DM

And I always thought we were Connecticutians. Robert, as a high school physics teacher in state, many thanks for your appearance in NH and the terrific program(s) you have aligned yourself with over the years. Brave New World was always a pop favourite.

Apr. 20 2010 09:46 AM
clay

from a biologist and potentially your only listener in Tasmania - you have a truly inspiring show. Frothing to hear how you got started so hopefully the story will make online someday.

Apr. 19 2010 08:10 PM
Laura

If I was home, I would most certainly be there.
By the way, we're called Nutmeggers.

Apr. 19 2010 06:04 PM
Li-At

So very bummed I'm not near enough to come to this talk.

Radiolab simply rocks!

Apr. 19 2010 11:50 AM
Alec

I'll be there! By the bye, however, Tuesday's the 20th, not the 21st.

Apr. 19 2010 10:11 AM
Diego Andrade

Did I say David I meant Robert !

Apr. 19 2010 09:27 AM
Diego Andrade

If you get to tape it can you post the link... thank you David!!!

D

Apr. 19 2010 09:26 AM
Kristoffer Bakkejord

Was going to ask the same as the four over me.

For us in europe, stuck on this continent because a volcano eruption, could you put it out on the internet?

Keep up the good work!

Apr. 18 2010 06:06 PM
Amira

Ditto. Please share your wisdom with the world, Robert!

Apr. 18 2010 03:35 PM
Debra Leigh M

I was going to say the same thing as these two people. Please came to North Carolina and give wonderful lectures or maybe make the audio available?

I LOVE YOU AND RADIOLAB!

Apr. 18 2010 10:25 AM
adam a

I was going to ask the same as Mr. Ferguson. For those of us stuck in the desert and not some where nice, like the east coast, give us a nice little audio download for our bus trips to work. =)

Apr. 18 2010 02:54 AM
Andrew Ferguson

For those of us not anywhere near the east cost, will there be an audio download made available sometime in the future?

Apr. 17 2010 04:07 PM