Getting to the Finish Line: The (Non) Limits of One Woman's Endurance

Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 11:00 PM

In 1982, a young Julie Moss competed in the fourth annual Ironman competition. Her finish, as she describes in our Limits episode, was a heroic and heart-wrenching display of one woman pushing her body to the brink. After a 2.4-mile swim and a 112-mile bike ride, Julie struggled to complete the last leg of the triathlon (running a 26.2 mile marathon) in this incredible (and incredibly hard to watch) clip of her final 400 meters.

Lilian Rodriguez from Houston

Oh my goodness! This is amazing. All the support and her strength... it's so beautiful.

Aug. 29 2016 11:31 AM
Fakir

Just thinking about the physiology of this, she is running on empty and has a severe glucose shortage in her body. She's probably also used up many ketone bodies which could then be synthesized into sugars. If this continued exercise kept up any longer there's a chance she would have entered a coma. That is very alarming.

Jun. 11 2015 05:58 PM
Catniss K. Kafkha from Nebraska

Wow...this is so inspiring. The strength of this woman through the obstacles and hardships she faced is truly incredible. I am in awe of anyone who could complete a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride, and then a 26.2 mile run. I'm sure these people train for years for a triathlon like this and to make it through is a large feat. I am so proud of Julie Moss for having the courage to finish the race even after her competitor came up from far behind and ended up beating her. In that moment, a lot of people probably would have just given up, but no, not Moss. She is an inspiration to athletes everywhere.

Apr. 14 2015 06:32 AM
Lyra E. Yeats from Barbados

I found this video to be truly inspirational, because I do not know a single person who would have the will power to run this race never mind come in second place. This woman, Julie Moss is not so much a hero but more of a role model, I love to run, but I could never imagine swimming, biking and then running all in the same race. I don't know how a person could do this. I really enjoyed watching this because it makes me want to go outside and run for miles and miles (although I know I can't do that).

Jan. 26 2015 09:02 PM
Margot from Philadelphia

What an incredibly brutal and inspiring moment. This story is one of my all-time Radiolab favorites. I have often thought of Julie in moments of, "Can I do it? It is possible for me? What kind of person am I?" I hope that I too will be a fighter in my darkest hour.

Oct. 20 2014 05:15 PM

I've decided that every time someone on NPR uses bad English, I'm going to comment on it. Mr. Krulwich said, "You had ran...." I'm hearing this more and more often and it's WRONG.
Present: I run.
Past: I ran.
Present perfect: I have run.
Past Perfect: I had run.
Future perfect: I will have run.

Oct. 19 2014 01:18 PM