The Music of La Mancha Screwjob

Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 01:27 PM

(Illustration Credit: Matthew Kielty, Latif Nasser)

Radiolab is a very musical show, and I sometimes get more credit for that than I deserve. For our last episode, which was about authenticity and realness (as filtered through professional wrestling and Cervantes), I put out a request on Facebook for songs that include the lyrics "is this real?"

I then asked the amazingly talented Dylan Keefe to mash them up.

ALOT of people have asked about these mashups. Here they are, with notes from Dylan.

Dylan: So, Jad asked me to string together snippets of these songs as a sort of lazy river flowing through a dreamy question of reality (or something like that) and so I made FOR REALZ TAKE 1 using Nick Hakim’s amazing song The Light as sort of a loose foundation and it seemed to capture the mood we were looking for. Then I just tried to stretch and manipulate the other snippets to match the dreamy mood and give some sense of cohesion yet disorientation.

Everyone in the office seemed to be really into the result and I must admit it has stuck in my head more than most of these collages I’ve done. Then Jad said “So moving! Now gimmie 3 more”. Unfortunately the One Hit Wonder troll has dogged me for most of my life and I’m afraid he may have bit me again. Alas, I made FOR REALZ 2 and then another one combining Fleetwood Mac and wrestling audio to poke fun at real and imagined drama.

Thanks for listening! If only there were Protools when I was a kid :D

Natalia from Guadalajara

Dec. 30 2015 01:30 PM
JO Lucks from Wanaka, New Zealand

THIS EPISODE OF RADIOLAB INSPIRED THIS: 3 minute film about wrestling that just premiered at the New Zealand International Film Festival.

It is now online:

Thank you Radiolab for inspiring art!

Jul. 24 2015 07:43 AM

Lyra A. Yeats from Barbados it's ok to admit you don't know anything about music. Sit down.

Jun. 07 2015 09:42 AM
Paul Foster from Washington, D.C.

Do it again! Do it again!

May. 10 2015 01:06 PM
Lyra A. Yeats from Barbados

Usually I adore modern kind of creepy music, but this I did not enjoy at all. The way he describes his music is sort of dream like and just flowy. I would say that its dream-like, if one is simply high! The mashup did not combine well together at all. Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the greatest songs ever written and this man completely disrespected the song and the band. I would be ashamed to play this anywhere. I hope that I never have to hear such horrid music again in my lifetime.

Apr. 13 2015 08:13 PM
Jo3Fr3sh from New York

I'll just leave this link here.

Mar. 18 2015 08:10 AM
NolanT from Denver

What no5 said.

I was listening to the episode before bed and just as I began to doze off when those ambient noises came on. I liked the way it made my brain feel - please let us know where we can get that track (Shazam doesn't recognize)

Mar. 16 2015 02:02 PM

what's the track that comes in clearly at the 33:48 mark? beautifully textured ambient notes.

Mar. 10 2015 11:37 PM
Sandi from United States

I agree with the others: where can I acquire this mash up?

Mar. 09 2015 04:19 PM

Yo're too modest, Mr. Keefe. I bet you've got a lot more in you.

Mar. 05 2015 12:18 AM
Angel from Seattle

Loved it! Where can I buy it?

Mar. 04 2015 12:59 PM
Sukh Chugh from United States

Loved the show and the music. Can we download "FOR REALZ TAKE 1" from anywhere?

Mar. 04 2015 01:47 AM