Watch: Jad and Robert on Colbert

Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Jad and Robert were guests on The Colbert Report on Monday, take a look:

Watch the full episode.

The weird thing for me was listening to you guys at normal speed. I listen to podcasts at 1.5x and usually everyone sounds a bit chipmunky :)

Jul. 31 2014 02:02 PM
Hajnalka from Eastern NC

Great job, guys! I loved this interview. Cannot wait for the "How Much Does Canada Weigh?" short ...

Jul. 30 2014 06:12 PM

Oh yes,.... the other detail, it's that we can arrange the questions to make it seem "only humans have consciousness"... yep ... but we can't arrange the questions to reach the conclusion that "only humans have images".

In fact, all other animals are observably using images as part of a very active learning and action choosing process. You can see it clearly in their "hunting and dodging" behaviors that they use to navigate an environment in original ways. They're following "instincts" if you like to call it that, but that's not "programming" but "combinations of both innate and learned search patterns".

That's pretty clear evidence of just about all animals having their own kinds of 'thinking'.

Jul. 26 2014 12:42 PM

Guys, you overlook an incredibly important fact, that it's not just "only humans" that can "do that" (change images of things at will)... It's also "only images" that can do that. We can't do that with things, only images can do that, giving you a place to explore the separation between imaginary and real.

We should look into that

Jul. 26 2014 12:35 PM
Luis Benito from San Dieg, CA

There seems to be something wrong with your pod-casts, I have tried to listen to several today and they all end abruptly without conclusion... Are you aware of this?

Jul. 24 2014 04:43 PM
Louis Porter

I have listened to a few dozen Radiolab shows over the past couple of years and I have often been impressed with the cogency of the topics covered. However, there has been a very important development in the sciences in the past few decades that has been roundly ignored by mainstream media, and which relates directly to some of your shows. As illustrated very clearly in "The Conscious Universe: The Scientific Truth of Psychic Phenomena," by Dean Radin, PhD, the establishment as fact (beyond even the tiniest shred of doubt) of those phenomena, by hundreds of experiments by dozens of researchers over many decades, this development has truly revolutionary implications, and has been seriously marginalized by what could accurately be called scientific dogma. If you guys really want to be on the cutting edge of science journalism, you will need to take a long, deep look into this.

Jul. 22 2014 09:35 PM
Monico

That was a great, fun to watch interview!

Jul. 22 2014 05:59 PM
laura nalle from moscow, idaho

Brilliant, as always.

Jul. 21 2014 10:35 PM
Grace from Plano, TX

Loved how you tried to explain your show to Colbert!

It sounded like when I try to explain the show to other people.

Amazing experiences have unexplainable qualities..... !!!! You Rock!

Jul. 21 2014 12:18 PM
prankster atom from Marijuana, CO

there is probably no connection between them doing the interview and me, right?

Jul. 21 2014 04:51 AM
patrick from Durban

We're sorry but the video is not available in your location. Pfffffttht!!!

Jul. 20 2014 03:07 PM
TR Jahns from Los Angeles

Here you get this forum (admittedly dicey) to promote the show and elevate the discussion on TV to at least the level of high school English and --pfft!--you let the air out of the intellectual balloon. I like the show, but you guys have to do better at articulating what your program is about when given such a golden opportunity.

Jul. 20 2014 02:31 AM
Brad Henggeler from Omaha, Nebraska

Huge fan of radiolab and of colbert. My mind can barely contain the indepth discussions of awe and wonder on one show, and of the satirical right-wing hilarity of the other. Both shows have one thing in common. After each...my brain requires a nap!

Jul. 18 2014 04:42 AM
tuneks from Tunisia

not available in my country :/

Jul. 18 2014 03:57 AM
Renee Joyce from Newton, MA

When I saw that Jad and Robert were going to be talking to Stephen Colbert I was so ecstatic that I could hardly contain myself! These three gentlemen are all people who I love and greatly look up to, so getting to see them interact with each other and discuss interesting ideas (especially weighing Canada) was a dream come true.

Jul. 18 2014 12:32 AM
Sheri from Seattle, WA

I just saw this episode of Colbert, and I was so thrilled to see the interview! I kept closing my eyes when Jad and Robert were talking, because it was just too *trippy* to see their faces (though you're both super handsome!). Well done!

Jul. 17 2014 04:46 PM
David Ezekiel Brooks from Salt Lake City

This had me laughing in the office. So awesome that he had you two on. Both of you are some of my favorite media sources. Keep up the great work!

Jul. 17 2014 04:04 PM
Chad from Toldeo, OH

This is the first time I have seen your faces to match the voice, I have listened to you on podcasts and via Michigan Public Radio for years. You look totally different than how I pictured you. But great interview.

Jul. 17 2014 10:12 AM
Jean Rothenberg from Houston, TX

Great job, guys. You managed to turn your interview with Colbert into a Radiolab episode. Loved it.

Jul. 17 2014 05:06 AM