Year-End Special #2

Monday, December 28, 2015 - 12:01 AM

Guts Guts (Charles Michelet)

Radiolab wraps 2015 with a series of special episodes. This hour the producers take center stage and celebrate one of their favorite episodes.

Well that explains the Kombucha glow! There are Buch bars everywhere serving various mixes and made from various starters and doing a booming business. Love your gut with these microbes and enzymes!

Mar. 22 2016 09:03 PM
Bonnie Lynch from Oregon

I usually find your shows intelligent and entertaining, with both of these attributes at a higher level of sophistication than typically exists in podcast land. But I was absolutely horrified at the discussion (and all the giggling and other merriment) about the fistulated cow. As Rama Ganesan correctly notes, only the most sadistic of us would think this was appropriate as a source of entertainment if it were done to a cute Labrador retriever or a Siamese cat; yet, we somehow turn a blind eye to the abusiveness and utter disregard for animals as living, feeling beings when they are being raised as food or for research. I felt so sick as I listened that I couldn't continue.

I know that this show has ample human talent to come up with entertaining content that doesn't rely on animal cruelty. Please direct your energies there.

Jan. 15 2016 10:14 PM
veronica from LA

Love the show, and after the many pledge drive breaks, I came to the website to donate. But $60 is the MINIMUM you're willing to accept? Not a rich person, I had figured I would give something in the $20-30 range.
Oh well, guess it's nothing. Guess I should stop listening, since I can't afford it.

Jan. 11 2016 01:43 AM
Susanna from DC

I love this episode too! It looks like our understanding of gut microbiome development is changing fast- new research indicates babies in the womb may not be as sterile as we thought (as was stated in this episode):

Dec. 30 2015 08:08 PM
Bill from Syracuse from Syracuse NY

Great episode!!!! I loved it. Next guts episode you should enlighten everyone on fecal transplants!!!!

Dec. 29 2015 09:02 PM
melissa from Vancouver, BC

as someone studying nutritionist after marveling at the importance of the gut and its microbiome in treating my digestive autoimmune disease, people are tired of me talking about how awesome fermented foods are and how much their bacteria weighs. now i can just point to this episode and say "radiolab says so".

Dec. 29 2015 01:53 PM
Jane from MI

This is all very interesting, but as a Michigander I cringed every time Mackinac was mispronounced. :/

Dec. 29 2015 07:15 AM
Andy from Kansas

Great episode. So far these producer picks are way better than the most downloaded episodes.

Dec. 28 2015 07:09 PM
Cornwell from Salem,OR

Lets have lunch and talk about how jewish you think I am

Dec. 28 2015 03:54 PM
Rama Ganesan from Indiana

This is an awful episode to choose as a favorite. Even if you have no respect for cows, please have respect for your listeners who respect cows. Would you allow something like this to be done to a dog or a cat? It's really inhumane, and the animal does not consent. As it is the year-end pledging drive, please don't remind me how insensitive you can be.

Dec. 28 2015 03:46 PM