Year-End Special #4

Wednesday, December 30, 2015 - 12:00 AM

(Frans Lanting / www.lanting.com)

Radiolab wraps 2015 with a series of special episodes. This hour the producers take center stage and celebrate one of their favorite episodes.

Dillon from Milledgeville, GA

I'd like to provide a contrary opinion to a lot the folks outraged about what happened to the goats.

I don't understand how people claiming to be appalled by the inhumane treatment of those animals, aren't willing to consider the fact that they were an immensely invasive species. The goats were not only going to be the cause of turtles dying out on the island, but were most certainly going to be the cause of their own deaths as well, due to the fact that their consumption of island vegetation was not controllable.

What's horrific, is the fact that people are OK with the idea of letting the goats continue to stay on the island. Cruelty, is not supporting efforts to keep species of tortoises alive that are much more difficult to sustain.

Keep up the good work, Radiolab. The world isn't experiencing a shortage of goats. You didn't fund the project, someone else did. Thank you for shining light on such a delicate issue.

Jan. 29 2016 01:27 PM
tim h. from Pinedale, WY

Strange--my itunes podcast feed don't show these year end special episodes. So i came to the website to find them (because my podcast addict app on my phone had them) and it looks lke maybe there is a different itunes feed seperate from these? I tried to put the http://www.radiolab.org/atomfeeds/channels/radiolab/radiolab-blogland url into itunes so i would be able to get these episodes on itunes, and it doesn't recognize it as a podcast. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Love your show though!

Jan. 02 2016 11:30 AM
Sustenance

Guess hindsight is 20/20. So many families could have used those goats. I wonder why they weren't herded,boarded onto ships, and given to people who needed them.

Jan. 02 2016 09:52 AM
Triggered

Me and goat lover from Los Angeles are starting a fund to raise money to have the goats from Galapagos air lifted and moved to LA, like literally hundreds of thousands of goats in LA. Galapagos!! you lost your goat privileges!! contact me on my email to find out where you can send your donations we all just want thour innocent goats to be free. Tee keep it down with your hate speech

Dec. 31 2015 12:46 PM
Tee from New York

You all need to get a grip. At any point in time did Radiolab folk say they picked up a rifle and shot these goats? Absolutely not. The job of these podcasts are to uncover layers of society/humanity we otherwise wouldn't know about. They don't say they are for or against this because it's not their job to sway us. We come to our own decisions. Don't blame the podcast makers for their work if you don't understand why they exist to begin with. This is why we, as a society, can't have nice things. Half of the time we don't understand them. If you can't handle the content on this podcast, go download the PG rated podcast and sing along there.

Dec. 31 2015 10:24 AM
Goat lover from Los Angeles

You should all be ashamed of yourselves for your horrific story about shooting off the goat population. The manner in which you presented this story... Lack of empathy, cruelty was inappropriate for such a higher caliber program as radiolab. I was disgusted and actually stopped listening.

Dec. 31 2015 06:54 AM
S. Shapiro from Los Angeles

I was disgusted by the treatment of these so called beautiful anaimaks, goats, in this story! Simple horrifying. I find it hard to believe that with all the scientists who convened to find a solution to the goat problem, they could not find a more humane alternative, I was appalled and especially with the reporter's and scientist's lack of empathy. I think it is criminal!! Shame in all of you!

Dec. 31 2015 06:46 AM
Triggered

Your treatment of goats is ridiculous. It's almost like you don't apply the same amount of empathy for goats as children. This is hideous. I'm never listening to the show again. I'M with Lisa! Support our campaign to allow animals to adopt human children. Because we all deserve equal rights!!! Goats are people too!!!

Dec. 30 2015 09:24 PM
Aaron from Green Bay

Agree with Lisa! And still waiting for a radiolab response to Making a Murder. Hope you got something in your radio crockpot. Long time lover of the show, and want to be sure I'm still listening to the voices I thought I was.

Dec. 30 2015 07:08 PM
Matt from Seattle

I'm with Lisa

Dec. 30 2015 02:01 PM
David from PA as in Pennsylvania

This is a story that relates humankind actually solving a problem that they caused. Similar activity of harvesting animals is so far removed that it may surprise some to realize that the folks who "process" i.e. slaughter society's meat every day, probably take a work-a-day attitude and chat casually but not cruelly about it. I did not perceive the attitude of the goat-hunters as cavalier

Dec. 30 2015 10:59 AM
Lisa

The story about eliminating the goat population on Galapagos was unbelievably horrific and traumatic for me to listen to. The way it was told, with the shooters laughing about the fate of the goats was completely inhumane. The level of trauma inflicted upon those animals, especially the Judas goat's, is wrong. It's just plain wrong. Without commentary to this effect, it sounds like Radio lab is endorsing this kind of cruelty to animals. You're reading my protest here.

Dec. 30 2015 05:08 AM